chapter twelve: the escape

Thando's POV

I'm woken up by a phone ringing. I don't know how I ended up sleeping on the floor but here I am. I get up and look at myself on my phone.

My ears are red and puffy, like huge puffy. The person calls again. I pick up and put it on loudspeaker as I rinse my face.

Aviwe: baby, I'm on my way to your house. Don't pack anything, leave that phone as well. Leave your cards, anything that has been made for you or bought for you by your parents. I'll call you when I'm nearby, just start walking to the corner.

With that said, he just ends the call and I run downstairs and press the remote that opens the garage doors and the gate and I run out. My parents are out for dinner so it's not really a problem. I run to the corner and wait. He then parks in front of me and I get in the car really quickly and he drives off.

Thando: where are we going?
Aviwe: Cleveland.

I nod and fasten my seatbelt before looking out the window with tears in my eyes.

Thando: can we at least go see uya for a while?
Aviwe: a while is what we don't have but we are headed there right now, they came back this morning as well.

He looks at me and notices that there's blood on me.

Aviwe: haibo thando, what happened?
Thando: I slapped my mirror and broke it.
Aviwe: thando marn!

He drives faster. He probably thinks we have nine lives, it's fine.

We get to Ntsikelelo's house and Uyathandwa, Junior and Ntsikelelo are waiting for us outside.

We get there and I run out, I give Uya a hug and cry in her arms.

Uya: it's okay.

Aviwe and Ntsikelelo run into the house. We also follow them in.

After a while, they both come out. Aviwe comes out with a first aid kit and treats my cut and we get up to leave. I hold uya's hands and we start getting emotional.

Thando: I'm sorry.
Uya: it's okay, you also deserve to be happy.
Thando: I'll call?
Uya: we'll be waiting. right, jj?

He smiles at her, he is such a mama's boy. I take him in my arms.

Thando: aunty is going to miss you.
Jj: aunty!
Thando: yes! aunty is going to miss you.

We all laugh and Aviwe takes him and tickles him. He then takes a watch out of his car, a brand new watch and some small sneakers, new too. He gives them to Junior.

Uya: you're seriously spoiling him.
Aviwe: that's my job. we have to leave though, bye newly weds. I love you so much, sisi.
Uya: I love you too.

With that being said, we drive off. We get to the airport where the  jet is and everything has been taken care of, how does he do it?

We are then lead to the jet and after some time, off we go. I guess this is goodbye, South Africa.

Uya's POV

I can't believe it has to come to this. This is so crazy.

Ntsikelelo walks in while I'm bathing Junior. I go on and lotion him and dress him in his onesie. I then cover his head with a beanie.

He sits on the edge of the bed.

Ntsi: how are you feeling?
Uya: I'm not okay. I mean my best friend and my brother are in a whole different continent because our parents don't approve of their relationship.

I take Junior and give him to his dad before sitting on the bed.

Uya: I might not even witness their wedding.
Ntsi: baby, we will witness that wedding.
Uya: without our parents there though?
Ntsi: they have made their choice. baby, if my parents did not approve of you then I would have done the same.
Uya: really?
Ntsi: of course.

I get up and give him a kiss.

Uya: give me my baby.
Ntsi: hau you just gave him to me mos?
Uya: hu uh.

In the past few days, I've grown really fond of Junior. I really love him and we're getting along fine.

Ntsi: baby, you're going to feed him angithi?
Uya: yeah.
Ntsi: yes, go prepare the food.
Uya: are you hungry?
Ntsi: yes.
Uya: okay.

I go downstairs and dish up. I actually cooked when we came home. It's pap, some braai meat that we bought on our way here and some salads. I then make food for Junior.

I call them downstairs. I give Ntsikelelo his food and feed Junior as well.
After eating, we go to the living room and watch a movie.

At Thando's house...

Thando's parents return from an award ceremony.

They walk in and thando's mom runs up to Thando's room to check on her. She opens the door and everything else is normally except for the fact that Thando is not in there and her phone is there. She runs to the ensuite and finds the broken mirror, the shattered pieces on the floor with drops of blood on the floor.

T's mom: baba!
T's dad: yebo!

He walks into Thando's room and finds a letter on the floor. And it reads...

"I'm leaving, please don't look for me."

T's dad: look what I found!

He says walking to her mom.

T's mom: let's go look for her at Uya's house.

Uya's POV

After a few hours or so, I hear the bell ring for the gate. I stand up and ask who it is on the intercom and it's Thando's parents. I roll my eyes and open the gate.

I head out while holding Juniors hand.

Thando's dad gets out of his car and runs to where I'm standing, by the door.

Her dad: where is my daughter?!
Uya: I don't know.
Her dad: DON'T LIE TO ME MARN! that brother of yours took my daughter, where is she?!
Uya: how sure are that she's not just running away from you?
Her dad: just tell me where my daughter is!

Ntsi comes out and stands next to me before taking Junior from me.

Ntsi: with all due respect, you can not come to my house and yell at my wife. now like my wife has already told you, we have no idea where your daughter is so now if you'll excuse us, we were busy.
Her dad: I'm not done...
Ntsi: but we are. Sibusiso!

He says calling one of the guards.

Sibusiso: I'm sorry, sir. I'm gonna have to ask you to exit the premises.
Her dad: I'll be back.
Sibusiso: trust me, you won't.

They get in the car and drive off. Ugh they are being so unnecessary, they did this.

Ntsi: are you okay?

I nod and we walk back inside.