chapter thirty- four: a what?!

A WEEK LATER

I'm still at my in-laws and today is my gender reveal party. We flew my mom and the kids in yesterday.

I wake up, take a bath, wear a bathrobe and bathe my babies.

Before we get dressed, I have got some tea! Ntokozo was introduced to the in-laws last week. Ma absolutely loves her, I still think I'm the favourite though.

Anyway, we get ready for today. We are wearing matching colours today, the theme is white and gold so everyone is wearing a white shirt with the gender that they are expecting printed on their t-shirt.

I'm wearing the t-shirt with a long white skirt and cute white slippers, my feet have been killing me.

Everyone eventually arrives and we have an amazing time together. It is a quite close and intimate thing so only the people that we are closest to are here.

It is now time to reveal the gender of our baby. We have balloons that are filled with colour. Every guest, including my sons has a balloon to pop. If they are all blue, then it's a boy. If they are all pink, it's a girl.

We start the countdown and when we get to the number one, we all pop our balloons. With my fingers crossed and my eyes closed, I just silently pray that it's a girl.

I open my eyes and see blue everywhere. The tears just let themselves out. Ntsikelelo comes to me and hugs me.

Ntsi: it's okay, mommy.
Uya: no, it's not! another boy?!

I start sobbing but not loudly. I cry for a while before my mom comes up to me.

Mom: what's wrong?
Uya: ma...ma...a...another boy?

I say in between my hiccups. I shake my head and continue sobbing. I see Ntsikelelo pursing his lips, trying to not laugh and that just makes it worse.

I start sobbing a bit louder. He takes me inside and I sit down on the couch, in the living room.

Ntsi: baby, what's wrong?
Uya: a...a...another boy? Hu uh!
Mom: so you want a girl?
Uya: yes!

I just continue crying so Ntsikelelo takes me upstairs where he helps me take off my slippers. I sit on the bed and he goes downstairs.

He comes back with cookies and ice cream. I eat my cookies and ice cream while he watches me and takes pictures.

Uya: stop taking pictures, I look like a whale.
Ntsi: you are my whale.
Uya: yeah but I'm fat.
Ntsi:no, you're not.
Uya: yes, I am.
Ntsi: are you okay now?

I nod.

Ntsi: take a nap, okay?

Like a small child, I nod again. He grabs me a hoodie from the closet and helps me put it on. After that, I lay down and he pulls the throwover up and throws it over me. He gives me a kiss on the forehead and rubs my back while planting kisses on my neck.

Ntsi: I love you.
Uya: I love you too.

We both take a nap and wake up two hours later. We take a shower and wear some comfortable clothes. We then head downstairs and join everyone else.

Ty: oh hey, mama bear.
Emi: how are you feeling now?
Uya: I'm okay.
Ntokozo: you really want a girl ne?

I nod.

Ntsi: we'll try again.
Uya: no.
Ntsi: baby...
Uya: no.
Skhu: speaking of trying...

He gets off his seat and goes down on one knee in front of Ntokozo.

Skhu: baby, we have been together for a long time now. I think it's about time I do right by you and make you a woman. I believe this ring belongs to you, please accept this and marry me?
Ntokozo: yes!

She says jumping up and down. After celebrating this, very loudly, we all sit down again.

Ntokozo: well, I also have an announcement.
Thando: go on...
Ntokozo: I'm pregnant.
Uya: really?
Ntokozo: yes, two months.
Mpumi: welcome to the parents club.
Thando: it's really nice.
Ntokozo: sure...

They say, sarcastically.

Uya: yoh what a great day it has been for everyone but me.
Ntsi: baby, no.
Uya: what? I am having another boy, instead of having a girl. I am also tired of giving the same name to my kids over and over again.

I say as I start feeling emotional all over again. The tears start falling out and my smile turns upside down.

Aviwe: I really feel sorry for you with this pregnancy.
Thando: her hormones are really fighting.

I giggle lightly as I wipe my tears away.

Uya: I'm hungry.

They all laugh at me.

Emi: that baby needs to get out of you...
Ty: soon!
Thando: where is Noya, Tyler?
Ty: with her grandmother, they are on vacation. I am here to get drunk anyway.
Mpumi: no, behave yourselves.
Thando: we don't have children this week.
Uya: must be nice.

We all laugh. Tyler's mom calls.

His mom: your daughter is crying here.
Ty: give her the phone.

He gets up and goes out to talk to her. He comes back after a while.

Ty: well, I guess there are no days off.