chapter thirty-four: devastation again

We are now at reception and everything is going well. Our couple has leads had their dance and everyone  ate when we got here. We are now just sitting around and chatting.

I see Ntokozo moving uncomfortably as she grabs Skhumbuzo's arm and screams and groans in pain. Concern is written all over his face and he helps her stand up.

I look at her dress and see blood.

Uya: blood! Skhumbuzo, she's bleeding.
Ntokozo: no, no, no!

She says with tears coming down her face and devastion written all over her face.

Skhu: I'm sorry.

He says as he picks her up and rushes out with her. I run behind them and get in the car with them. We get to the hospital and she's rushed into the ward.

I stand there with Skhumbuzo and he just falls to the ground as I stand next to him in the corridor. I sit down next to him and he breaks down in my arms. In any other situation, this would be weird but he really needs us.

After some time, one of the doctors comes to us after Skhu has calmed down.

Doc: are you the Dlamini family?
Us: yes!

We say as we stand up in a hurry.

Doc: we managed to save the mother. we did however, fail to save the baby. my sincerest apologies but we do need your permission to drain the remaining uhm...
Skhu: where do I sign?

He says interrupting the doctor.

Doc: please follow me.
Skhu: I'll be back.

I nod as I let go of his hand. He then follows the doctor.

After a few minutes of sitting alone, I'm joined by Ntsikelelo, Thando and Aviwe.

Aviwe: where are they?
Uya: skhumbuzo is signing some papers and ntokozo is in the ward. she had a miscarriage.

DAYS LATER
Ntokozo's POV

Skhumbuzo and I are finally returning home after days of me being in the hospital. Home being our house, we have already asked everyone to give us space and I'm really hoping that they'll respect that.

After hours and hours of driving, we finally get to the house, which is in Joburg. I haven't seen it yet, this is Skhumbuzo's wedding gift to me. He also got me a car, which was initially supposed to be my push present but here we are.

The car is the BMW X5 and it's absolutely gorgeous.

We get in and he parks the car. He takes our bags out of the car and he asks the guards to take them in. He then holds my hands and we go inside.

We go up to our room and he helps me onto the bed.

Ntokozo: I want to take a shower.

He just nods and helps me from the bed while avoiding eye contact with me. He hasn't made eye contact with me since we lost our baby. I don't know if maybe he's afraid to let me see his red eyes or his eye bags or that I'll be able to look into his exhausted soul.

Ntokozo: you don't have to help me with everything.
Skhu: I want to.
Ntokozo: Skhumbuzo.
Skhu: yes?
Ntokozo: look at me, dammit!

He finally looks up and I can see it, the pain he has been hiding. It's written all over his face.

I open my arms for him and he gives me a hug and withdraws quickly.

Ntokozo: come here.

I say as I pull his hand leading him to the gorgeous ensuite. We take off our clothes and get in the shower. I turn on the water in the shower and I fall into his embrace as the water fall on his taper fade and my cornrows, our bodies as well.

Ntokozo: I'm sorry.

Blood streams down my legs as I say that and he looks down at it. His eyes tears up and he drops his body onto the shower floor. He places his head between his knees as he has a breakdown, screaming and crying. I sit down next to him and cuddle him as he lets it all out.

Ntokozo: we'll be okay.