chapter thirty-five: yoh Skhu

Ntokozo's POV

I wake up the next day and find that Skhumbuzo is not in bed. I really need him today, I'm feeling really down.

Anyway, I wake up and make the bed. I then head to the ensuite and take a shower. I then lotion my body, wear a maternity pad because I'm still bleeding. After that, I wear some pajamas and I wear a beanie over my cornrows.

I wear my slippers and head downstairs where I make some cereal and eat it while watching some cartoons.

Hours and hours go by and Skhumbuzo still hasn't returned, maybe he has gone to work.

18:00

Skhumbuzo returns and doesn't even greet before running up the stairs. I run after him.

Ntokozo: where have you been?
Skhu: places.
Ntokozo: what places?

He stops going up the stairs and looks back at me.

Skhu: places, Ntokozo.
Ntokozo: you reek of alcohol, Skhumbuzo.
Skhu: thank you.

He rolls his eyes and runs up the last few steps and goes to our room. I follow him and close the door behind us.

Ntokozo: why are you behaving like this?
Skhumbuzo: like what?
Ntokozo: like this?! Skhumbuzo, I get that you're hurting but I'm hurting just as much as you are.
Skhumbuzo: good for you.
Ntokozo: good for...

I look at him in disbelief, this is not my man.

Ntokozo: Skhumbuzo, I felt that baby leave my body, I felt that connection end and I felt a soul leave my body. not only hers but mine too, I felt my happiness leave too and I was hoping that maybe, just maybe my husband would make this better. I was hoping that maybe my husband will comfort me.

I say as the tears fall uncontrollably and my face turns blood red.

Ntokozo: why are you doing this to me?! huh?!

He looks away with tears falling from his face.

Ntokozo: speak up, man! speak! I want to hear you disrespect me again, speak! oh what?! have you run out of disrespectful comments?! speak up, dammit!

He stands up and comes over to me before pulling me in for a hug. I just let it all out, the pain that I'm feeling is a bit much to bare.