Merciless

Edds P.O.V

     I let the water rush over my body and wash away the red that stained my skin. It seemed like everything was red from that day on, his hoodies, his army, their blood on my hands. I scrubbed my hair and rinsed it out. It was 3 AM and I'd just gotten back from a rescue mission. We got reports of civilians being used as slaves to build up a small base for the yellow army. It took a lot of effort and some injuries but we all came back home. A team was sent out right after on a supply run and then we could finally rest for a little bit. Times like these it made me wonder if this was the weight Tord carried even in high school.

     Tord.

     I grumble and irritatedly shut the water off, "Matt!" I yelled.

    "Yeah?" He answers.

    "Could you bring me a towel please?" I ask.

   "Yeah give me a minute," his footsteps patter outside the door, he knocks and hands me the towel, "Here you go."

    "Thanks." I nod. His eyes look at my face, he knows the face I'm making. I break contact and look at the mirror and start to clean myself up.

    He starts to unbutton his shirt and looks at me through the mirror, "Edd-"

    "How was work today? Were you able to fix Roselens arm? And how about Jack? How's he doing? Oh and how did Louie's surgery go?"

    "Yes, he's doing good and it went well besides a few trainee mistakes." He points out the bandages around his arm, "Sadie dropped a tool." Sadie ended up joining the rebellion like Matt offered, she studied alongside him as he was the head of our medical staff. If anyone could save your life it was Matt. Sadie is one of our best and most reliable rebels, she isn't just a skilled fighter but can work as a medic mid-war zone. "Now, if you're done changing the subject I'd like to ask you a question."

    "Shoot," I chuckle.

    "Have you been sleeping?" I didn't answer, "Edd I know after that night--"

    "Come on Matt, have you? I mean we've been in the middle of three big operations. I'm doing the best I can and I know you are too." I throw back.

    "Edd, you can't keep thinking of them." I frown and I turn to him. "Look he has made it clear that it was all a lie and his army is no different from any other one. Rumors have it he got back a long time ago and if anything their killings and raids have gotten ten times worse. He's a lost cause Edd. We're running the only good operation on this planet and you have enough on your shoulders. Worrying about him doesn't need to be one of those things."

    "And Tom.." I trail off.

    "He's been the head of every attack we've seen from the Red Army. We have yet to cross paths with him but everyone who does is a goner." He came closer, "You alright?"

    "I just," I hit my hand on the bathroom counter, "Dammit Matt! I'm so frustrated! I trusted them! I gave everything for them! I thought.." I didn't even want to say it. "Look, I know I've been talking about it in the past couple of months but this is it Matt. I don't feel grief anymore. I just can't, I feel so angry. Martha, Danny, Jackson, and Terra, are dead. They died. At the hands of the Red Army." I felt tears brim my eyes, "Matt we promised people safety, we look out for each other."

    "And we did, Edd we did, we did the best we could,"

    "But it wasn't good enough!"

    "Edd it's not your fault. People know the risk when they sign up. Not everyone has to fight but they do. Hey," He hugs me, "It's alright, they're in a better place. They loved being here and they loved the freedom they fought for. We give people hope. Edd you inspire people. It's okay to be upset, you need a break okay? After tonight take a few days off."