Goodbye for now

Edd's P.O.V

"Okay, yeah, yeah of course. I'm on my way right now, okay, bye." I hung up the phone, and Matt grabbed a backpack. "All of this, I mean it's been one thing after the other. First, the supply ran, the girl, now this?"

"No kidding, not to mention it's been a week of silence with every army recently. It's strange and unlike all of them. All our bases haven't picked up any activity recently. We still have no answers about Tamra either. And Tord . . . I mean I can't imagine the PTSD he must have, add a broken leg on top of that." Matt agrees.

"Someone is after them. Maybe even us too. Especially now that she'll be in her care we really need to be careful of who we're letting in on our base. The Red Army is doubling their security and it should be no different for us. We're going to go pick her up and meet Tom. During that time Tom wants you to give Tord an evaluation."

"I have everything I need in my bag, ready to go?"

"Ready to go." I nod.

~2 hours later~

I didn't realize how far their base was, the terrain got worse as we got closer. But I guess that was to their advantage. We decided it'd be best if we went in an unmarked vehicle so we wouldn't draw any attention or suspicions if anyone else saw us on the way. A massive wall stood in front of us. Red Soldiers approached and held their guns out, Matt and I walked out with open hands showing our surrender. Sweat started to form as they yelled for us to get on our knees with our hands up. Red soldiers grabbed Edd's hands.

"Matt!" Tyler ran at him and gave him a hug. "Hey, why are you guys here?" He seemed puzzled, he quickly turned to the men behind him, "Don't worry guys they're not a threat. Someone sent for the Red Leader and Blue. Let them know they're here." They let Edd go.

"Thank you," I say.

"Looks like you're all healed up huh?" Matt smiles, nods, and moves his foot around. "Your army didn't know we were coming?"

"No, no one told us anything. Why what's going on?"

"Tyler, I think it's best if you're the one who takes us to them."

He calls the other men off and leads us instead. We walk through the huge corridors. I heard Tom's laugh down the hall, my lips rose at the sound. "I-I got you!" A girl yells.

We walk in on the little girl and Tom mid-air battling each other. He motions for her to come down, grabs her hand, and helps her to her feet. "Tamra, this is my most trusted friend. Edd and Matt. Matt, Edd, this is Tamra."

I lower to her level and pick up Tommy Bear, "Here you go. I'm Edd, you'll be staying with us for a little bit and we're gonna have a blast."

"D-Do you know how to p-play princesses?" She smiles.

I see Tom's desperate motion to say yes from behind her. "Of course we do!" Matt cheers. "In fact, I know a girl who is an expert at playing."

She smiles then turns back to Tom and worries, "Is Uncle Tordy g-going to b-be okay?"

"Of course he is, he just needs some time princess."

"C-Can you give this to him f-for me?" She hands him a little box that's been wrapped up with spare papers. A little sunflower is taped to the box. "T-Tyler helped me pick i-it."

We all looked at him, "What? She's a smart girl and she wants to explore sometimes. You're just lucky I caught her."

"Thank you," Tom grins.

"She must take after you then huh?" I playfully elbowed him.

"Yeah, she does. Come on, I'll come with you guys to help her grab her things. Tyler, can you load up their truck? We have some security items that you can install in your base. Matt, Paul will take you to Tord."

"Okay,"

Matt's P.O.V

"We managed to get him in the Medbay, we've had a tough time getting him to work with us to be honest. Let me know if you need anything-"

"Actually, I need you. Will you be my assistant? I've seen how you work with him, I'll need your help if you want an assessment."

"Okay," Paul grabs a white coat and puts on gloves. I grab my things out of my backpack. Tord didn't look at me once or say a word. Any time he would even attempt to open his mouth to answer my questions he would vomit. I've never seen him like this, I've never seen anyone like this.

After an hour there wasn't much left I could do. I walked outside with Paul to go over our findings. I grabbed my clipboard, "After the original wound he was left with torn ligaments and tendons. We were lucky the bullet just missed bone but it seems a high impact has caused a fracture. Most likely from falling last night. If he keeps walking on it the fracture can turn into a break. He needs to be off it if he wants it to heal. Not only that but he re-opened the wound causing a lot of blood loss. Your medical staff was able to make up for that but he's still going to be too weak to use crutches. His wound needs to be cleaned every day, Don't skip out on it because infections can get bad fast and the medicine to treat it can be hard to find these days. He's already dehydrated and has an electrolyte imbalance, both conditions can become serious if not treated. He needs to be eating and drinking water every day. If he won't cooperate he'll have to be hooked up to an IV and feeding tube."

Paul's hazy eyes were looking at Tord through the glass, "I'll let Paytrck and Tom know."

"What are you guys going to tell the army?"

He quickly wiped his eyes and then pulled out a cigar, "These soldiers are loyal and would take a bullet for the Red Leader. But with things the way they are I don't think it's safe to give them all the details. We still don't know how the video got to his phone, especially through these walls, everything is monitored and it's a totally new device."

"You think someone has an inside person?"

"I don't know, but if there is and we announce it we won't ever find it. Paytrck and I are going to be looking into it and going through each soldier individually. Time consuming yes, but if we've got a rat then the longer there here the worse it's going to be. We're going to be moving Tord to a more secure room. Thank you for taking Tamra, she can be a handful," He grins, "But she's one of the sweetest kids I've met." He pulled something out of his pocket, "I figured it's best to walk into a room with the light on and not go in the dark. Pat wrote this up for you guys."

I grabbed the list, "Thank you,"

"Just so you don't make the same mistakes we did," he laughs. He rubbed his chin and turned back to the window. Tord was holding his hand over his mouth as tears streamed down his face.

"Hey, Paul?" He turns to me, "Take care of yourself, okay? You can't help someone else with no sleep, cigars, and stress."

He sighs, I give him a hug, "Thank you, Matt, for everything."

I smile, "Of course. He'll be okay. If I know anything about Tord it's that he's stubborn as hell. Even more than Tom. He will come around, he just needs time to heal." I give him one last smile and Tord one more sad glance. My chest tightens as I walk out of the room and down the hall. "Get a better friend, we all need you here," I whisper to myself. 

___________________________________________________________________________

AUTHORS NOTE:

heyaaa Eddheads, as you might have noticed, updates have been slow. This book is gonna be finished and I write a few chapters in advance before I publish one. I usually write one or two more chapters ahead before I publish the next one on Watty. So so so, this book is NOT stopping and I'm so excited to finish! With school going now things have been a little slower. I hope you all have seen the new EW episodes ✨Thank you all so much for reading and let me know if there's anything you wanna see more of or any feedback at all!