Nine

The Dragon Prince sat up, and let the heavy silk blankets puddle in his lap as he leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees; he looked like a red stone gargoyle at his perch. He studied Fang with a similar intensity as last night, but without the openly curious desire. He was deciding if he could trust her, Fang concluded, and she didn't blame him for taking his time; in some ways he was still innocent compared to other Drass his age and more jaded in others, which was all the more reason to try and gain his trust. If I have to live with this guy, he has to believe I won't get in his way. Fang had no idea if she'd even be participating in the coming talks with the Federation, but her actions would color his dealings with other humans – she'd have to walk on thin ice and hope it wouldn't shatter.

"Do we really have a choice?" he asked her at length, his ears swiveling forward. "I mean, until he steps down my father is the only one who can decide to break it off, so realistically it's not up to us."

"I think we'd be better off if we try," Fang said. "If we don't get along it runs the risk of you not getting your colony going and my freedom, and I'd really rather not go back to being Tias's woman if I can help it." That she had been, even if for only a short time, made her feel dirty; at least Tias had never actually touched her. "To be perfectly honest I have nothing left to lose by being your friend, and you have a lot to gain."

The Dragon Prince cocked his head. "Such as?"

He's smart enough to ask before agreeing, that's good. Better than me. "You said earlier Tias has always been a bully, my guess now is that he's going to be mad at both of us even though it's his fault. Also, if you do get this colony going, show him and your dad that you can do things for the Empire too, you'll have something to rub in his face as well as getting him in trouble. How does that sound?"

Valen pondered it for a while, even as he looked her over in a way that suggested he was appraising her. As a friend? An ally? A pawn? However the evaluation, Fang's life was in his hands and she couldn't do much about it. Wealthy people were all the same no matter how you cut it, all she could do was hope he kept looking after her as he had so far. Finally, he asked "What do you get out of it?"

"Me? Well, I get food and shelter and clothes–"

"No," he shook his head, "what do you get out of being my friend? I have to do those things because the deed of concubinage binds me to it – it's expected whether you're my friend or not. There must be something you get that isn't in the contract, or else you wouldn't be trying so hard to convince me." The corner of his (so sweet and so soft) red mouth twitched up and Fang realized she was dealing with someone wiser than his limited years suggested.

"Um, I also get to learn how to read Drass, and I don't have to live with your brother and his woman. I also don't have to work in a factory or a laundry anymore, and I won't have to sleep with anyone... else..." The moment it came out Fang knew she'd put her own foot in her mouth. She winced as Valen's eyes widened. "I mean, I won't have to do it for money," she added, scrambling. "Look, I had a great time last night, I'd be happy to do it again if that's what–"

"No."

"Sorry, what?"

Valen looked down at his lap, his hands bunched in wads of silk. "I won't make you do anything you don't want to do, or think you have to do. Legally speaking you're my..." Again he grimaced at this, as if the prince found himself distasteful. "You might be a concubine on paper, but considering the circumstances it doesn't feel right. It's an unfair situation and I'm not going to press the issue."

"Oh..." On the one hand, that was incredibly magnanimous of him – a different Drass might point to the legitimacy of her contract and demand sex because legally he was entitled to it, but it seemed Valen was no ordinary Drass. "Are you sure? I mean..." She faltered again and wondered why she was pushing it; why was she suddenly worried about being rejected? He's powerful, and I need a powerful friend.