Forty-Seven

Draped in red and black, sumptuous velvet, glistening silk and gauzy chiffon, and its smooth grey marble walls ribboned with gold, the Golden Hall sparkled. From crystal clusters eight feet long and meters in diameter, soft white light spilled in sheaves over the long sweeping staircase wrought from stone, tables crowded with silver trays and delicate porcelain plates and cups, and the tall, red-skinned, scaled and bejeweled Drass in their finest robes arrived for the reception. On a raised dais to the left of the staircase, the Imperial Family's places had been set and their seats awaited them; on the right a similar setup had been laid out for their guest from the Federation and her retinue of attendants, all dressed in blue, white and silver to match Remitha Chatterjee's trailing dupatta. She sat with her hands folded in her lap, the dark red patterns of mehndi recently retouched so that her arms and hands resembled those of her hosts in color.

A booming female voice, relayed at volume through hidden speakers all around the enormous chamber, hailing the arrival of first His Majesty, the Dragon Emperor Matias Tenurkhan Drassian the Fourth: "Imperial Father, Sovereign of the Drass people, our exalted leader, and gracious host of the Federation Envoy Madam Remitha Kumari Chatterjee. Remain standing." Benna covered the microphone at her jaw with her hand, watching the wealthiest and most influential being currently alive in the known universe as he appeared from behind a massive red drape emblazoned with a rampant beast in gold, diamonds and onyx stitched into the cloth generations ago by the most killed artisans in the Empire. With every touch of air that moved the fabric the great beast breathed, its onyx eyes watching over the Hall and its occupants. Matias raised his arms at the top of the staircase, encompassing all within his view under his direction and protection and halting the sound of cheers before they drowned out the remainder of Benna's introductions.

"His Royal Highness, First Dragon Prince to the Drassian Empire and Heir Apparent, Matias Tenurkhan Drassian the Fifth, and Lady Consort Aisana Sehina Drassian, and their children Matias Tenurkhan the Sixth, Rashanna Sehina, Envi Karasai, and Oden Altanbat." The First Prince's family descended the stairs behind the Dragon Emperor, Aisana carrying her newborn on her chest and Rashanna holding Envi's hand. Tias offered his elbow to his Lady, but Aisana rebuffed him with a huff and a step out of his reach. Tias proceeded down the steps with a stiff smile, his ears and tail tense.

"His Royal Highness, Second Dragon Prince, Commander in Chief, and Heir Presumptive, Morden Anatar Drassian, and Lady Consort Shisa Chuluna Drassian, and their son Bataar Subat." Little Bataar toddled own the steps holding his mother's finger in one hand and his tail in the other, eyes huge at the sights and smells of the Golden Hall. He raised his little red fist and waved at no one in particular, as four-year-old children do, and grinned broadly at the ripple of amused chuckles that followed.

"His Royal Highness, Third Dragon Prince, Minister of Finance Aeden Denizul Drassian, and Lady Secretary of Finance Yena Fenzhin Drassian, and their daughter Susa Rashira." Aeden carried Susa on his shoulder, the little girl steadying herself with an arm around one of her father's horns. Yena walked beside him, their arms linked at the elbow and Yena's hand briefly brushing the front of her emerald robes as she stepped down. Aeden glanced over at the small movement and his ears flickered once before settling. The gathered Drass and their tiny group of human guests fell to a hush and the pause between Benna's introductions drew out long. Remitha Chatterjee turned in her seat at the foot of the stairs, holding her breath as the moment grew heavier. Whispers began in the back of the Golden Hall by the service doors, maids and service staff ducking behind pillars to hide their moving mouths and muffle their voices.

"Are they coming?"

"They have to, this is their party."

"What's taking so long?"