Twenty-Nine

For the second time in as many weeks, Valen sat quietly in his father's office while Matias scrolled through his draft proposal. As he waited for his father's assessment, his thoughts of last-minute changes and minor exclusions drifted to thoughts of Fang. Over the week since he last spoke with his father Valen had come to a series of conclusions that tightened the knots in his stomach to their snapping point, but he hadn't had the time or the courage to look at them in a clearer light. And with Tias also sitting in the room shooting him evil looks while their father perused the draft and made notes on his tablet, Valen needed something to distract him.

The first revelation had come to him shortly after the night Fang had tied his hands and restricted his ability to touch her. Not being able had brought the realization from the back of his mind to front-and-center: Valen did not like being unable to touch Fang. When she'd forbidden him from using his hands, a powerful but thankfully brief flare of anger had welled up in his chest and his frustration revealed that he didn't just want to be able to touch her, even in the most innocent way, but that he would not tolerate being separated from her. I would survive it, if I had to, but I certainly wouldn't enjoy it. Even now, not having her at his side set his long tail to flicking impatiently. I miss her. I want to be near her, I want her at my side always. She's the closest friend I've ever had, I'd be lost without her.

From across the room Tias glared, his high-bridged nose wrinkling in disgust at his youngest sibling. Valen kept his face still, returning neither hate nor alarm, projecting instead apathy and indifference. He was here for his proposal, not for Tias or anything the First Prince had to say. Prince Piss-for-Brains, she called him. The corner of his mouth twitched. I could learn so much from her about not being afraid of my brother. Fang always seemed so fearless, even when confronted with something so formidable as his father – or the prospect of becoming Lady Consort. Valen's mouth curled just a little bit more, imagining Tias's reaction when Fang became untouchable right before his eyes. You have no idea what's about to happen to you, brother. You have no idea what you've brought upon yourself. I can tolerate your bullying – I've known nothing else – but your biggest mistake was thinking I'd let you treat someone else the way you treat me.

"What's that look for?" Tias hissed, "What are you smirking about?"

Valen blinked as if he hadn't just been imagining the tantrum his brother would throw in private after Fang's elevation. "Hngh? Oh, I'm sorry, I was thinking about something else. Begging your pardon." He ducked his head apologetically and shifted in his seat, aiming his gaze deliberately at the fireplace.

Tias narrowed his yellow eyes in suspicion. "What are you planning, Runt?"

"Tias," the Dragon Emperor cleared his throat, "I'm reading."

"Eyah, sorry, Father, but if Valen's up to something–"

Matias's red ears twitched. "I don't care, Tias. Be quiet or leave."

Tias pinched his lips together, the force making his jaw muscles bulge. The move made his head look even more blocky and square. He looks like a constipated yangru bull. "Are you all right, Tias? You look like you don't feel well. Can I get you a cup of tea?"

Matias looked up from Valen's proposal, small gold-rimmed reading glasses balanced on his tall nose, and inspected his oldest child. "You do look ill, Tias."

"I am fine, Father."

Valen snapped his claws. "Eyah! It's the baby, isn't it? Ashes, 'Sana must be so uncomfortable now, and you're so anxious to see your son you can hardly sleep! It's all right, Brother, 'Sana's never had any trouble with–"

"Go rest, Tias," the Dragon Emperor interrupted, returning to the proposal. "You're going to need it with a new baby. I'll brief you on my decision this evening or tomorrow morning." He waved an enormous red hand glittering with rings and gold claws, dismissing his heir from his office. Tias's golden eyes flicked between his brother and father, indecisive, before he abruptly stood and hurried from the room. The tall door clanked shut behind him and after a moment of quiet Matias set Valen's proposal down. "Perhaps it's for the best. I was going to speak to you in private afterwards, but I will need time to properly assess your work so let us take the opportunity now."