Chapter 1: The Beginning

I slowly blinked my eyes, resisting the urge to fall asleep. The plastic subway seat creaked a little as I slightly switched my slumping posture to a neutral sitting position. Taking a small sip from the iced coffee I had brought on the way to the subway station before, I opened my phone and began mindlessly through my recommended page of videos, news and the like.

Ah. How rude of me to not introduce myself. My name is Lee Byeol, an average 15-year-old girl who had just finished my weekly tutoring session and was currently just going home via the subway. I turned my head, allowing my black hair with dyed brown tips tied in a side ponytail to drape down to my shoulders.

I sighed as I stared out the window, staring at the pitch-black tunnel walls as the subway rumbled and swayed. Thankfully, the subway wasn't quite crowded today. There were about... ten people in the cart including me.

A little jolt from inside my bag distracted me as I smiled.

Ah, yes, yes. Who could forget about you? I thought as I opened my backpack flap slightly to reveal a plastic bag filled with water. Inside, an orange-coloured goldfish swam around in circles, as if trying to escape the bubble of water it was trapped in.

I had stopped by the pet shop earlier to pick out this little one for Grandpa's birthday gift. Oh, that's right. My parents were currently overseas on a business trip, so they had left me alone at home with my grandpa. Hmm... I wonder what he's making for dinner today... fried rice maybe?

I was too engrossed in my delicious daydreams to notice the sudden chill within the subway cart. Hmm? Did someone turn up the air con?

"...!!!" I made a shocked expression as the subway cart suddenly braked hard and the whole cart shook uncontrollably. The sharp screech of metal grating against metal filled my ears as the train skidded to a halt.

Confusion brewed among the passengers as the stop caused an uproar began to stir within the carriage. The carriage light flickered a little before completely going out, dousing the carriage into complete darkness.

"Uh, what?"

"W-What is this?" Confused voices rang out from the darkness.

Shortly after, one or two smartphone lights turned on. I frowned slightly as a woman with brown, long-hair in office clothes who was sitting two seats away from me asked the question on everyone's mind. "W-What is going on?"

"Don't worry. It isn't a big deal." The man with black hair, who was also in a suit sitting next to me replied.

"Is that so?" The woman still looked sceptical.

"Yes, it is probably a disturbance from a suicide. The engineer will soon make an announcement." He firmly stated, and I slightly frowned.

"...if that's really the case, then I hope the person is okay..." I mumbled, causing the two people next to me to stare at me. "O-oh! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that out loud." Did I mention I had no communication skills? Social anxiety at its finest.

The man sighed as he looked away from me. "If it was a suicide, then there would be no chance of survival. The train is moving too fast."

I looked down at my feet and mulled over my thoughts. "I suppose you're right..."

Just as I finished speaking, I heard the engineer's announcement play from the overhead speakers. "–Telling all passengers on the train. Telling all passengers on the train."

The loud surroundings became calm as most people calmed down to listen to the engineer.

The man sighed and opened his mouth, "See, it isn't a big deal. Now an apology will air, and the power will come back on..."

Except it didn't. The terrified voice of the engineer rang across the speakers. "–E-Everyone, run away... Run...!"

What? I thought with a hint of panic. If it wasn't suicide, then was the subway hijacked? I thought those things only happened in movies.

There was a beeping sound, and the broadcast turned off. The inside of the train became a mess.

"D-Dokja-ssi? What is this...?" The woman stared at the man; presumably Dokja, fear resurfacing on her pale face.

The man couldn't reply in time before a bright light flashed from the front of the subway train. Then, I could hear a loud drumming sound followed by a pop.

Someone... or something... was heading this way in the darkness. The man still didn't reply, attention focused on his phone. He was staring at the lock screen, which displayed the current time...

7:00 pm.

It was at this point that I heard an electronic voice that sent chills down my spine.

[The free service of planetary system 8612 has been terminated.]

[The main scenario has started.]