Chapter 11: Defeating the Ichthyosaur Pt.1

[Ha... Hahahaha! You are crazy! A crazy human! I should've known it when you refused the sponsoring of the other constellations!]

Bihyung laughed for a long time before opening his mouth again.

[I don't know how you know about Star Stream Broadcasting but I can't accept the offer. I'm a dokkaebi, not a constellation. I can't be your sponsor.]

I watched Dokja-ssi talk to Bihyung as I once again yawned. Seems like I used way too much energy when fighting those zombies...

"Hey, Dokja-ssi. You don't mind if I catch some shut-eye here, right?" I asked as I rubbed my heavy eyes, lying down on the concrete. Thankfully, I'm a deep sleeper... I've even slept through earthquakes before, so sleeping through Dokja-ssi and Bihyung talking much shouldn't be too much to ask of me.

Dokja-ssi smiled as he gave my head a gentle pat. "Recharge your energy, Byeol. Sweet dreams."

I hummed in response as I closed my eyes and let sleep overtake me.

"Hey, what are you doing? Get up already, sleepy head! It's our turn to go get food today for everyone." A girl's voice rang out within the darkness.

"Ugh... fine, fine. You're so annoying, Jihye." I heard someone's voice that sounded exactly like mine give a reply to the unknown girl. No, I was the one who replied to her. But, I didn't even open my mouth. What exactly was going on?

Then, light filled my eyes as my vision returned.

Was this a dream? No, a dream couldn't be this realistic. Then... could this be something else?

I sat up, looking at 'my' hands. They looked exactly like mine, but they were littered with small scars. Without me doing anything, my mouth opened subconsciously.

"So, what's on the menu today?" I spoke, but my voice sounded so far away. "What is everyone feeling? I think I saw a supermarket yesterday on patrol. That could mean we have the option of canned foods."

"Ooh... do you think it will have some food from before the scenarios?" The girl, Lee Jihye, pondered out loud.

"Come on, let's find out ourselves!" Then, without control over my body, I grabbed Lee Jihye's hand and dragged her away, presumably to the exit of the place we were currently in.

On the way, I passed different people I had never met before but subconsciously knew. There was the stunning Lee Seolhwa who was carrying an armful of medical supplies, Jung Heewon and Lee Hyunsung who were happily talking to each other and even Yoo Joonghyuk and Kim Namwoon who were training together outside.

For some reason, Yoo Joonghyuk looked... so much happier. He was even giving advice to Kim Namwoon as they sparred with wooden weapons.

I looked outside and saw the familiar destroyed scenery of destroyed buildings and overgrown plants.

Was this the future? But that can't be! Kim Namwoon was dead. There was no way to resurrect someone dead back alive. My head began pounding with unwanted thoughts.

If it wasn't the future, then maybe the past? But that wouldn't make any sense either, I had never met any of these people before today...

Then... could these be the forgotten memories the voice had mentioned?

"Byeol? Hey! Lee Byeol? Are you okay? You're staring into nothingness. Something on your mind?" Lee Jihye asked with concern, turning around to face me.

Unable to control my body, a single tear rolled from my eyes and dripped to the floor.

"Lee Byeol? Byeol. What's wrong? Are you hurt?" Jihye continued to ask, face clearly showing worry. "Hey, Master! I think something's wrong with Byeol!"

Even if this was just a memory, it felt so... peaceful. Even if this was just a dream... can I just stay here a bit longer? Just a little longer...

I shook my head and wiped my stray tear away. "No, Jihye. Nothing's wrong. I'm just happy to see you."

"Haa... what's with you today? Acting so weird. Let's just get going already."

I nodded my head as I could feel my body getting lighter. Of course, this was just a memory. I couldn't stay here forever. Dokja-ssi was still in danger, and we still had to deal with the future in front of us.

"Yes, let's go." I nodded. No matter what kind of things happened in the past, no matter what things I've forgotten... I'll remember eventually. For now, let's just stand up and face the present.

"...Hello, Byeol? Time to wake up." I was awoken by Dokja-ssi's familiar voice. "

"Mhm," I muttered in response as I rubbed my eyes. "How long was I out for?"

Dokja-ssi sighed as he handed me my backpack and spear. "You were asleep for about an hour. The dokkaebi's long gone now, you should take a look at the new scenario."

Following his instructions, I opened the system.

[Hidden Scenario – Commander Slayer]

Category: Hidden

Difficulty: A+

Clear Conditions: Kill the Ichthyosaur 'sea commander' and escape from its stomach.

Time Limit: 10 days

Compensation: 9,000 coins

Failure: Death

"...I see. What should we do now?" I asked Dokja-ssi. "We can't just sit around and wait for our deaths, right?"

"Give me five minutes, I'll finish preparing by then," Dokja-ssi replied as he got to work.

I hummed in response as I opened the <Constellation Communication>.

[Byeol: Stardrifter, I know you're there.]

[Stardrifter: ...Hehe. Guess I've been caught.]

[Byeol: Are you the voice I've been hearing in my head?]

[Stardrifter: To some extent, yes. However, most of that is your subconsciousness. My presence just awoke that sleeping part within you.]

[Byeol: Who are you exactly? Why do you know so much about me?]

[Stardrifter: I'm just a constellation. Well, I know you because... you and I were close in the past. As for your memories, you'll regain them slowly. That dream you had was just a snippet. I don't know if you'll get any more dreams like that though.]

[Stardrifter: Didn't you forget something though?]

[Byeol: ...Right. Thanks for your coins earlier.]

[Stardrifter: No problem~! I wish you luck 👍]

"I'm ready." Dokja-ssi's voice disrupted my thoughts as I closed off the chat. "You just have to follow my instructions."

"Wait... what's the plan?" I asked, uncertain.

"I'll use the mucus of the hammer seahorse over this stone hog's thorn to block the digestive fluids."

"Then?"

"Then, we pray."

"That's not a very good plan..." I sighed as I looked in Dokja-ssi's direction. "You're going to use the thorns to kill the Ichthyosaur from the inside out, correct?"

"...yes."

[A few constellations are curious about the plan made by <Kim Dokja>. 200 coins have been sponsored to <Kim Dokja>.]

"But I could probably just use my skill too..." I pondered out loud as Dokja-ssi looked at me curiously.

Before I could fully figure out my own plans, Dokja-ssi gave a signal of warning.

"It's starting."

I grinned nervously. "I hope we survive this, Dokja-ssi. We still need to catch up to the others, after all... and slap some sense into Yoo Joonghyuk. Let's show this overgrown sea serpent what we're made of, shall we?"