Chapter 25: Sea of Stars

After training for about twenty minutes, the rest of the group returned.

"Ah, Byeol. Working hard as per usual, I see." Hyunsung-ssi commented as I shot my last arrow and deactivated the skill.

"Oh, it's nothing." I shrugged.

"Just make sure you don't push too hard, save some energy for later," Hyunsung-ssi replied with a friendly smile as he patted my shoulder.

"Alright! Shall we head off now?" I addressed the group. Before anyone could give a response, however, Dokja-ahjussi interrupted with a cough.

"Actually, I'd like to give out some items." Dokja-ahjussi declared as he showed us the two items he had allegedly found on his trek aboveground.

[Samyeongdang's Beads]

[Samyeongdang's Straw Mat]

...Oh. They looked... kinda old and scruffy. The bead bracelet looked like it was about to snap at any given moment. The straw mat? Well... it was shaped like a kimono, but it was an overstatement to call it one, no signs of pattern, only a piece of concrete grey fabric.

Apparently, my face of disgust was too obvious. Dokja-ahjussi noticed this and assured the party.

"Don't worry, they might look old and scruffy but they're actually very useful. Check out their stats and find out yourself."

"They look like a thousand-year-old artifacts..." I muttered as I side-eyed the items with disdain. "Won't such things only serve as a hindrance?"

"Come to one Byeol, give it a chance, will you?" Sangha-unnie urged as she handed me the items after she inspected them.

I glanced at the items. B-class... I guess it wasn't too bad. I shrugged as I handed the items back to Dokja-ahjussi "They're pretty cool I guess."

"They are strong because they possess the power of a historical figure."

"Great person?" I asked, now intrigued. My history wasn't the best, so I probably won't know them...

"Do you know Samyeongdang?"

Aha... called it. Who the faqk is he again?

"...Who is that?" Heewon-unnie voiced my exact thoughts, her face frozen in a dumbstruck expression.

"Ah! I know!" Sangha-unnie spoke up excitedly. I could almost see a physical lightbulb lighting up above her head.

"I remember seeing it when I was studying Korean history! Isn't he a monk from the Joseon Dynasty?"

Well shi- HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ON MY NEXT HISTORY EXAM! Thank god we don't need to do that now. I mean, unless you can get a presumably dead teacher to mark our tests... YEP! Not gonna happen.

"Yes, that's right." Dokja-ahjussi looked at Sangah-unnie, urging her to continue her impromptu history lesson.

"When the Korean military was struggling to defend against the Japanese invasion...he fought in the Nowongpyeong battle and Wukwandong battle!"

Blahblahblah... these words went through one ear and straight out of the other. I came here to beat some monster ass, not learn history! I guess you can never truly escape school...

Tis like a ghoul that haunts thee day and night... if thy ill spirit has so fair a house, possess good graces of knowledge, then good things will strive to dwell within it, I'll hope!

Wow. Would ya look at that, history's fried my brain so much I've started speaking Shakespearian. How the hell does that work? L O G I C.

Am I going insane cause I've been constantly talking to myself instead of initiating small talk with others like a normal human?