Chapter 9: Pinocchio Wannabe

(Author's Note: I wonder if anyone read Pinocchio as a child? If you did then you'll get this reference lmao)

It would be quite a laughable situation if anyone else saw it.

Dokja-ssi was being grabbed by the neck and hanged like a monkey, legs dangling over the bridge helplessly.

"Hey, sir? Sir? IT'S EXTREMELY RUDE TO CHOKE SOMEONE, YOU KNOW? COULD YOU PLEASE LET GO PLEASE?" I passive-aggressively stated with both hands on the arm my supposed past companion was using to choke Dokja-ssi.

However, even using all my strength to pull at his arm, he remained still. I didn't even use 100% of my strength when I was fighting the zombies, and yet this man remained unfazed at my attempts to rescue Dokja-ssi.

The only reaction he showed on his stupidly handsome face was an annoyed glare in my direction.

"Can you at least not hold him like... that?" I requested but got no response. Talking to him's like talking to a brick wall... and I can't even use <Lullaby>, because then he would probably subconsciously drop Dokja-ssi.

His name was Yoo Joonghyuk, right? Hmm... I should give him an annoying nickname. How about... sunfish? That's what I wanted to scream in his face before, anyways. But I shouldn't say that to him right now... he'll drop Dokja-ssi for sure.

"Name."

"What?" Dokja-ssi looked a little bewildered at the sudden command.

"What is your name?"

"Kim Dokja."

"A strange name."

"I've heard that a lot."

"You, the girl. Name."

"Argh... fine, fine. My name's Lee Byeol. Can I at least know yours then?" I had long stopped my attempts at rescuing Dokja-ssi and had positioned my arms crossed in a casual stance. As usual, I received no response.

Is this man for real? I groaned, annoyed as I mentally face-palmed.

At this moment, Yoo Joonghyuk wordlessly drew back his fist and hit Dokja-ssi square in the guts.

"...Ugh." Dokja-ssi groaned as he closed his eyes from the painful impact.

"You bastard... WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!" Seeing Dokja-ssi getting hurt, I finally snapped.

I don't care if this guy was some kind of past companion I knew. If he hurts Dokja-ssi...

THEN, HE'S GOOD AS DEAD.

Unbeknownst to me, a murderous aura filled the air around me as I felt adrenaline rush through my veins. Dokja-ssi visibly stiffened and even Yoo Joonghyuk flinched.

[The requirements to activate the personal attribute: [Guarder of Dreams (???)] has been fulfilled.]

[Personal Atribute: [Guarder of Dreams (???)] has been activated.]

[Guarder of Dreams (???)]

[Effects : ◼️◼️◼️◼️◼️◼️◼️◼️◼️, intimidates entities harming <Kim Dokja>.]

"Put him down." I glowered at the taller man, eyes full of killing intent. When Yoo Jonghyuk didn't move, I repeated myself, louder this time.

"Put. Him. Down." I placed my hand on Yoo Joonghyuk's arm and squeezed. Hard. This time, a flash of pain shot across his eyes, and he promptly dropped Dokja-ssi back onto the bridge.

"Hnng..." Dokja-ssi groaned again as he gently massaged his throat with his hand. I felt the adrenaline leave my body, the mysterious aura disappearing.