Breakfast Smells Good

Ian

Before Ian finally shuts off his phone for the night, he checks the time. Fuck, 3:42am. With the out of the blue high Ian's got going on and the fact that Ian, on a regular day, would usually be up around 5am to start his day anyway, decides to just stay awake.

He turns around the corner again, walking over to Chloe only to discover she's already fallen asleep. I mean, Ian can't blame the girl, she's had one hell of a night. With a sigh, Ian figures he'll just keep watch around the station to make sure no one spots the two trouble makers.

As Ian scans the room, there is no sign of Jake. 'Huh, maybe he left without me? Rude.' he thinks just as he reaches the kitchen to pour himself a cup of coffee. That's where he spots Jake chatting with one of the firefighters. A spark of fear goes through Ian. What if Jake is telling her about Ian's plan to hide Chloe?

"Shit." Ian says under his breath, walking right passed the coffee machine and straight for the two chatterboxes.

"Oh, hey Ian." Jake says with a smile. He doesn't seem off to Ian, which is a good sign. "Did you finish up restocking our med kits?" Ian's shoulders immediately drop with a relief at Jake's question. He covered for him, how thoughtful.

"Uh, just about. I just have a question to ask you." Being that Jake is technically Ian's supervisor, this question is not out of the ordinary so the fire fighter Jake was just talking to, doesn't pay it any attention.

"Oh, sure. I'll talk to you later, Hanna." They both say their goodbyes before Ian drags Jake over to the corner where Chloe is asleep in. "Your husband talk some sense into you?" Ian gives Jake a look of disapproval then starts to explain his next moves.

"Alright. Mickey told me that she can stay with me tonight and in the morning I should take her to child protective services and let them handle the situation." Ian waits for Jake's response before continuing onto what he thinks of the matter.

"Okay, that's a decent idea. Thing is, we can't stay here all night. People will get suspicious, and this corner is not very hidden. I don't even know how you've lasted this long without getting caught yet." Ian purses his lips and nods to his statement.

"Mickey told me not to bring her back to my place. Your place on the other hand, he never said anything about." Jake's eyebrows raise. They don't go as high as Mickey manages to make them, but they're up there.

"You want her to stay at my place?"

"And I'd stay there too, to ensure that she's well taken care of."

"You think I wouldn't take care of her?"

"No that's not what I'm saying! She's under my care, you know? I took her away from her foster family so she is now my responsibility. I should stay with my responsibility." Ian explains himself. Jake only nods.

There's a long pause before Jake looks at his wristwatch and opens his mouth to speak again. "Child protective services department doesn't open til 8:30. We won't get back to my place til about 4:30ish. That could be enough time for us all to get some shut eye and be ready for the day tomorrow." Ian's face lights up. He's really going to let him do this. Sure it's not what he originally hoped for, but it'll do.

"So you're in?" Ian asks for confirmation. Jake sighs, shaking his head.

"Yes, I'm in. Of course I'm fucking in." Ian smiles and goes over to Chloe to wake her up, telling her the news. Well, part of the news. He doesn't want to break the child protective services talk just yet. She could run away if she hears those words. Chloe yawns while nodding and they all go over to the ambulance again.