An Apartment's on Fire

Mickey

Mickey sighs in frustration, pinching the bridge of his nose with his eyes closed. It's times like these where he really wished Kev were here, or even V. It is currently Wednesday night, Kermit and Tommy are talking his ears off about some new beer brand they want to try, Sherry is asking him non stop questions about different drinks needing to be made, the bar is unusually busy, and some old chick can't stop her baby from hysterically crying right in his ear.

"Holy fuck!" He screams, throwing up his hands. Everyone pauses, except the crying baby, of course. They all stare blankly at Mickey, and he just shakes his head. Without an explanation, he heads upstairs to their home rental area. No one was currently living there, so he slammed the door shut, needing a moment to breathe.

Mickey pulls out his phone and goes to call Kev. It rings a few times before he finally answers.

"Ey, Mick! Haven't talked to you in a while. How's it going?" He already sounds too cheery.

"It's going pretty shitty, Kev. How'd you handle such a busy ass bar?"

"Easy. The bar was never busy. You got a lot of customers tonight?"

"Yeah, I fuckin do. It's just me and my other shitty bartender, Sherry."

"Sherry? I thought you liked her?"

"I do. As a friend, not a bartender."

"Oh. I could hit up my boy Ricki for you? He's pretty good."

"Yeah, that'd be great, man."

"Yeah, alright. Look, I hate to cut this short, but the girls are about to show me this cute little dance they made, so I gotta..."

"Yeah, alright, Kev. See ya."

"Bye."

Kev hangs up, and Mickey sighs again. He knows he has to go back down there, but it's just a lot. When he took the job, he never realized how hard it really was. Mickey checks the time, 8:34p.m. His shift ends at 11 p.m., and he closes. He puts his phone in his pocket and goes back down, acting as if nothing happened. Instead of explaining how to make the drinks Sherry asked about, he just made and served them. He kicked out the woman with her baby, who was still crying, and told Tommy and Kermit to,

"Shut the fuck up! Especially you, Kermit." After all that, things seem to calm down a bit. When he gets some free time, he gives Sherry yet another bartending lesson, this time making her write down everything he says. When Sherry tries the drinks he demonstrated, she gets it right first try. They both cheer and high-five.

Just then, most of the gallaghers walk in, same with their plus ones. All except Ian are there.

"Hey, Mick. Ian still at work?" Debbie asks, taking her usual seat on her bar stool. Franny sits on her lap and looks right at Mickey, shining her biggest, sweetest smile.

"Yeah, he's not done til nine." Mickey answers before crouching down to Franny's level and scrunching his nose. "And what do you want, miss?"

"Hmm... coke?" Franny's little voice squeaks. Mickey, already knowing she'd ask for that, laughs and fills her glass. He puts in a blue straw (Franny's favorite colour) and hands it to her. "Thank you!" She smiles. Mickey smiles back at her and ruffles her hair, moving onto his next few Gallagher customers.

"Hey, two beers over here, Mick." Carl says, gesturing to himself and his cop friend. Mickey nods and fills two glasses with beer, sliding it across the counter. Both men grab their glasses and thank Mick.

"You're welcome." Mickey turns to Lip to take his order but sees Sherry already filling his glass with coke. Mickey smiles and moves back over to Debbie. "Nothing for you?"