Chapter 6: Hide and Seek?

It was an early cold morning, Himeko rubbed the sleep from her eyes as she woke. Y/n was still asleep in her cot, but the chill in the air made Himeko shiver. She decided it was time to turn the heating on within the Astral Express. Slipping out of the room and heading for the control room Himeko switch on the internal heating system. Warm air started to pump out of the vents all over the train.

Making her way back to her room the warm air filled the corridors. Sliding open the door to her room Himeko walked in to see Y/n awake and standing in her crib. Her daughter was now 10 months, bouncing in the cot waiting for her mama to come and pick her up. 

Raising her arms the small girl fell back down. "You are getting better at standing aren't you sweetheart?" Himeko said as she plucked y/n from the crib. Still half asleep and lacking coffee, she quickly got them both ready and headed to the dining car. The others shouldn't be awake yet as it was still quite early.

Entering the dining car Himeko put y/n in her highchair and placed it near the island. This meant y/n could watch her mother in the kitchen while Himeko prepared her coffee and breakfast for the rest of the crew.

The small girl started to babble to her mother "Alright sorry, let me heat up your bottle for you. Just let Mama have a sip of coffee first." Himeko gulped down the piping hot drink and grabbed the bottle from the fridge to heat up. With her back to her daughter, she heard y/n babble some more "Mama". Himeko snapped around hearing this bottle in hand she walked to the highchair "Mama" the small girl said again. 

"That's right, I am your Mama." Himeko was beaming with joy " I'm so proud of you y/n you said your first word." placing the warm bottle in her daughters hands she looked up and saw March looking at the two of them.

"Did I just hear what I think I did?" March said while running over to the pair. "You did, I'm glad you were able to hear her first words too." Himeko couldn't be happier. Today was going to be a great day.

March leant a hand to the older woman as they started to prepare pancakes for breakfast. Slowly the rest of the team started to join them. While sitting at the dining table March tried to get y/n to say her name. "Ma - rch" she said slowly while pointing to herself.

"Mama" the baby said while looking towards Himeko. "Yes that is your Mama, can you say March?" y/n looked blankly at her like she was processing how to say the word. Smiling the small girl then started to say "Ma ..." 

"That's right it's March" the pink haired girl said again slowly trying to help y/n with the pronunciation. 

"Mama" y/n said again as Himeko stood up to pick her up from the highchair. "Give her a few more days I'm sure she will get it" Welt said while rustling March's hair. "I know I know. I am just so happy. She finally started talking. What's next walking and hiding from us on the train?" 

"Don't jinx it March, ever since y/n started crawling she has started to get very curious and crawl all over the train following and looking for me." Himeko left small kisses on y/n's cheek as she said this. She then placed y/n in March's outstretched arms "Mama has to go and do some work so behave for Aunty March okay?"

Over the next few days March was persistent to get the small girl to say her name, but all she got in return was the word Mama. The duo was sitting on the floor of her room as a knock was heard from the door "Come in" March called out. The door slid open to reveal the red head "How are my two favourite people doing?" she said and sat on the end of the younger girls bed.

"Still no luck getting her to say your name then?" Himeko giggled while looking down at the pair sitting on the ground together. March and Himeko started to have their normal conversation and y/n used March's body to help her stand up. This wasn't unusual for the small child, she liked to stand to be at eye level when people were sitting with her.