Chapter 14 - Falling Apart

[TODOROKI HOUSEHOLD]

(8:30AM)

The early morning sun cast a soft glow inside the Todoroki household, where Enji sat at a traditional Japanese table. Fuyumi diligently arranged the dishes, and Rei, wearing an apron, brought in a steaming pot of rice. Toya walked into the room and took a seat beside his father. Enji inquired, "Did you wake them all?" Toya simply nodded. 

Natsuo, looking a bit drowsy, joined the scene, offering a tired but warm "good morning" to everyone before settling into a chair. Soon after, Shoto, wearing his usual stoic expression, entered the room and exchanged greetings with the others.

A brief silence lingered in the room before Rei turned to Shoto, her expression curious, "Where's yuki? Didn't she wake up with you?,"

Shoto glanced towards the door, then shrugged. His nonchalant response prompted an irritated sigh from Rei. As she began to rise from her seat, Enji intervened, urging her to stay seated and start eating. He assured her that Yuki would join them shortly. Rei nodded in understanding and proceeded to serve the hot food to the waiting family.

A few minutes later, the door slid open, and Yuki entered. However, her appearance immediately sparked concern among the family. Dark bags hung beneath her eyes, and her gaze was tired and bloodshot, indicating a night devoid of sleep. Her exhaustion was palpable. Rei turned to Enji, worry etched on her face, and he simply nodded in understanding, acknowledging her concern.

Yuki took her seat without offering any greetings. Enji remained silent, studying her closely. Fuyumi, showing genuine concern, was the first to speak up, "Didn't sleep enough last night?" Yuki turned towards Fuyumi, hesitated for a moment, opened her mouth, then closed it, shaking her head to deny the question. Fuyumi frowned in worry but accepted Yuki's response. She proceeded to serve a bowl of rice to Yuki and gently handed it to her, saying, "Well, eat the hot rice. It should help you for now."

Yuki accepted the rice with a quiet thank you, her voice carrying a dry and meek quality, as if she had spent a long time crying. Though she got her food, she just sat there, gazing silently at the rice. Rei spoke gently, "Yuki dear, eat your food before it gets cold." Yuki nodded and said her prayers quickly and quietly before lifting the chopsticks and bowl, beginning to eat the rice slowly. The atmosphere in the room remained subdued, each member of the family quietly attending to their concerns for Yuki.

After a few minutes, Toya took the initiative to start a conversation, attempting to disperse the tense atmosphere. Natsuo followed suit, and soon the table was filled with small talk between Rei, Fuyumi, Toya, Natsuo, and occasionally Enji. Shoto silently observed the conversation, focusing on his food, while Yuki remained distracted, eating the rice with a blank stare fixed on the table.

Shoto spoke for the first time, breaking his silence. "Father, what about our training? You said we can start soon after our summer holidays begin." Yuki paused for a second upon hearing this but continued eating her food. Enji grunted in acknowledgment of Shoto's question while passing his empty bowl to Rei for a refill.

"We will start it soon, Shoto. I've been busy with a case for some time. I should have some free time probably around next week. So we shall start at that time. Is that okay with you and Yuki?" Enji inquired, collecting his filled bowl of rice. The mention of training brought a momentary shift in the conversation, and the attention turned to the plans for the upcoming sessions. 

Shoto nodded, accepting the answer, but Yuki remained silent, offering no response. Enji looked at her for a few seconds, waiting for her answer before sighing. "Yuki, what happened? Are you having those nightmares again?" He asked her in a gentle tone, the concern in his voice was evident.