Chapter 1

"You coming, girls?" Bill called.

I turned to him and nodded. "Be right there." I turn back to Sophia, lowering my voice to a whisper. "Remember. Don't talk to anyone about what happened at Brian's house, even if they ask. Just forget it ever happened."

"But how can I forget?" my little sister, Sophia asked. Her big brown eyes were watery, as if she were going to cry. I'd learned to save my tears for my pillow long ago.

"Do you want to get separated?" I asked her. "Because that's what will happen." I knew I was bullying her, but I had no choice. It was for her own good. Our own good.

"But Callie-"

"No," I said. "Look. I know it's hard, but you know that no one will ever want us if they find out." I took a half-used school notebook from my backpack, and thrust it at her. "Here. If you ever feel like you want to talk about it, just write about it instead."

Sophia nodded and took the notebook, and slipped it into her own bag. "Thanks."

My heart softened, and I leaned down to hug her. "Don't worry, baby. I'm gonna make sure everything turns out okay. Haven't I always taken care of you?" I winced, knowing there was one time I didn't. And look where it got us. "I love you," I told her, kissing her soft chestnut hair.

"I love you too," Sophia said, clinging to me. I hugged her tighter. She was my whole world. I hated forcing her to lie. But I knew she'd thank me one day.

"Girls, I'm serious," Bill said, coming toward us. "I'm on a schedule. We have to go."

I winked at Sophia, and then we climbed into the back of the dark-colored county car that smelled like cold french fries inside.

Bill sat in the driver's seat, occasionally looking back at us to talk. "This is the end of the road, girls," he said. "I need you to be on your best behavior. I was lucky to find a family who is willing to take both of you. It wasn't easy with your track record. I don't want it to happen, but I can't guarantee that you won't be separated next time."

As Bill spoke, Sophia grabbed my hand in her smaller, sweaty hand, squeezing my fingers. I knew she was scared, and I squeezed her fingers back to reassure her. "Do they know about... the Brian thing?" I asked. My tongue stuck, even though I was trying to play it cool.

Bill shook his head. "I don't know."

We weren't named in the newspaper, because we were minors. "You didn't tell them?"

"Sometimes, in my line of work," he went on, "it's in the best interest of the children to sweep certain things under the rug. Give them a fresh start." He pulled into a driveway that led to a brown house with sloping roofs and a swing on the porch. It was set back from the street by a manicured lawn. It was pretty. Definitely rich people, I thought to myself.

This is only temporary," Bill reminded us. Particularly Sophia, who tended to get attached to the good families, and always ended up hurt when things went bad. "Just until I find you a permanent home, or Callie ages out of the system. Whichever comes first. But you'll be safe here. The Fosters are good people, who love kids."

I said nothing as he popped the trunk and took out the two black trash bags that held our belongings. Taking Sophia's hand, we followed our social worker to the front door. He rand the doorbell, and we waited. Moments later, the dark, heavy door opened. A tall, beautiful woman with skin the color of hot cocoa, and messy curls piled on top of her head answered the door. She smiled, showing perfect white teeth. "Hi, Bill. Please, come in."

Bill stepped over the threshold, but we didn't move from the porch.

"You too, girls," the woman urged. "I'm Lena Adams." She held out her hand for us to shake.

Adams? I wrinkled my brow in confusion. "I thought we were gonna be staying with the Fosters," I said, wondering if Bill had taken us to the wrong house.

"My partner's last name," Lena clarified. "She's at work. She should be home in an hour or so."

"So, you're dykes?" Now it made sense, why Bill wanted us to be placed here so badly. No male authority figures. I silently thanked him for at least trying to protect us.

Bill gave me a sharp look. "Callie." He turned to Lena. "I'm sorry," he apologized. "She needs to work on her manners."

"It's okay," Lena smiled. "I understand."

"This is Callie Jacob," he said. I flinched when he placed his hand on my shoulders. The bruises I hid under my sports bra still hurt like a bitch. "She's sixteen years old."

"Glad to meet you, Callie," said Lena. I could feel her eyes linger over my split lip and bruised cheek, and for a moment, I felt self-conscious, because she was so pretty.

You too," I said politely. Her dark brown eyes reminded me of my mom's eyes. They held the same warmth.

"And this is Sophia Jacob," said Bill. "She's twelve."

Sophia waved, smiling. "Hi."

"Nice to meet you, honey. Wow. I can tell you two are sisters!"

Sophia and I did look alike. Everyone said so. Bill set our bags in the doorway and cleared his throat.

"Girls," said Lena. "You must be hungry. I set out some snacks and lemonade on the kitchen table for you. Help yourselves. I want you to make yourselves at home."

I looked at my sister. "Go ahead," Bill told us. We walked shyly to the other room.

There were cheese and crackers on a platter. Weird, healthy crackers with seedy things in them. Sophia dug in right away. The food at the group home where we were staying wasn't great. I let her eat while I nibbled on a piece of cheese, straining my ears to listen to what Bill and Lena were saying.

"They're good girls," he said. "They really are. But I'm in a bind with them. They're all each other has, and they're at risk of separation. They've had some bad luck. They've been through a lot."

"What exactly have they been through?" Lena asked. I nearly swallowed my tongue.

"They've been shuffled around a lot," he explained. "Callie has a bit of an attitude problem. And there was an accident in their most recent home."

"An accident?" She furrowed her brow.

Not knowing what else to do, I ran back into the living room. "Bill, they have an awesome back yard!"

He looked at his watch. "That's great, Callie. I really have to go. Good luck. I'll check on you in a few days." He looked up at Lena. "Thanks for taking them on short notice. I owe you."

"It's no problem," she said. "We're happy to have them."

"Bye, Sophia," he called to my sister. "Good luck."

I watched him drive away. Luck had nothing to do with it