Chapter 15

Callie

By now, I knew enough that Stef and Lena weren't going to beat the crap out of me. But I was still scared, not of what they were going to do to me, but of the looks on their faces; they looked so hurt. I looked down at my shoes, wondering if I'd made a mistake.

"Callie, what is going on?" Stef asked me. "Bill says you called him and asked to be taken from our home. Did you?"

I looked back at my sister. She was already crying. My face felt hot and sweaty. I wiped my palms on my jeans. "I- um..."

Stef turned to Brandon, Jesus and Mariana. "You guys can walk to school, yes?"

They looked to each other and nodded. "Yeah, sure," Brandon agreed.

"Then go ahead," she said. "You don't want to be late."

Our foster siblings left, leaving us alone. Sophia turned to me, angry. "I'm never going to forgive you!" she shouted. "You wrecked everything! I loved it here!" Her face crumpled and she started to cry harder.

"Sophia, I'm sorry-" I stammered. I never thought she'd find out that I called Bill; I thought he'd just come and get us without any explanation. Now I felt worse than ever. I looked down at my worn high tops, feeling like pond scum.

Lena went over to my sister and put her hands on her shoulders. Leaning down, she said softly, "Honey, before we get upset, let's let Callie explain."

Sophia shook her head. "I don't want to go. I love it here." She took a shaky breath. "I love it here," she repeated, hiccuping.

Lena sighed, and gave Sophia a hug. "You're not going anywhere," she promised her. "You're staying right here with us. I promise, sweets."

Seeing Lena hold Sophia, I felt even more uncomfortable. I jumped a little when I felt Stef touch my arm. "Come here, love," she said. "Please?" I nodded, and let her put her arms around me, even though I didn't deserve a hug. "We need to have a talk," she said. She let go of me and she led us to the living room couch. "Have a seat."

I sat down, hardly daring to look anyone in the eye. My shoulders were tense and heavy.

"Callie, you need to explain what's going on," Stef began, watching me carefully. "Do you really want to leave?"

Looking not in her eyes, but just past her shoulder, I nodded. "Yes. It's what I want."

Are you sure?" Her eyes were searching me, trying to find answers.

"It's just for the best," I lied. "You don't need us and our problems and our baggage. We're just a burden to you."

Stef nodded, then turned to my sister. "Sophia, love, why don't you go up to your room for a little while, so we can talk to Callie?"

"Okay." She stood up, but didn't go anywhere.

"Please, sweetheart," Stef pleaded. "Now."

This time, Sophia hurried up the stairs, and I heard the door to our room shut.

"Do you really think you're a burden to us, honey?" Stef asked me, once my sister was out of earshot.

I nodded. "Yes."

She grabbed my hand and squeezed it, like I always did for Sophia. "That could not be further from the truth, slug-a-bug. You girls are very much wanted. We love you."

I chewed my lip, close to tears. I couldn't understand how they could still say they loved me after I'd betrayed them. It didn't make any sense.

Stef and Lena turned to each other, looking into each other's eyes, communicating somehow. Stef nodded just slightly, then Lena spoke up. "Honey, you know you're not fooling, us, right?" she asked.