Chapter 4

Callie

I must have drifted off sometime during the night. When I woke up, Sophia was gone, and I could smell food and hear voices coming from the kitchen. Stretching, I rolled off the couch and went to find her.

"Good morning, Callie," Stef smiled, turning to face me. "Did you sleep okay?"

"I guess so," I shrugged. I wondered why she wasn't in her cop uniform.

Sophia was sitting at the table, picking at a stack of pancakes. I kissed the top of her head.

"Help yourself to whatever you want, sweets," Lena told me.

I went to the counter and poured myself a cup of coffee from the pot on the counter. Stef and Lena looked at each other and raised their eyebrows, but didn't say anything.

Was I not supposed to take this?" I asked, setting the mug down.

Lena shook her head. "You're fine, honey. We usually don't allow our kids to have coffee, but I guess it's okay this one time."

"Do you want some cream or sugar?" Stef asked me.

"Nah," I said, going to the table and sitting down next to my sister.

"Mariana, I want you to start working on your bedroom right after school," Lena told her daughter. "I'm serious. The beds are being delivered tomorrow."

Mariana rolled her eyes, then put her plate in the sink and rushed out the door. "This isn't over, young lady," Stef called after her.

Lena and the other kids head to school, leaving me and Sophia alone with Stef. "So, here are the plans for today," she told us. "I scheduled both of you to have a physical this morning, and then we'll do some shopping afterward."

"I'm not going to the doctor," I said. I felt the bruises under my shirt ache.

"It's not an option, love," she replied. "We need to make sure you're healthy before we enroll you in school."

"We've had our shots," I told her. "It's not like we have rabies or anything."

Stef suppressed a laugh. "Honey, you're going to the doctor. I took a day off of work, and it's all set. We were lucky to get you both in on short notice."

"Come on, Callie," Sophia pleaded. "Just go. Please?" She looked to me desperately; she wanted our foster mom's approval so badly.

So I gave in. "Fine. I'll go."

"Good girl," Stef nodded. She looked at my sister and frowned. "Aren't you hungry, kiddo? Would you like something else?"

She shook her head. "I'm not hungry. My stomach hurts."

Stef laid her hand on Sophia's forehead; something a mom would do. "You don't feel warm. Good thing we're going to the doctor's today, huh?"

After breakfast, Stef took me aside. "Callie," she whispered. "I know you're probably worried about the doctor seeing those bruises on your body."

I felt my face heat up as she looked me in the eye.

"I understand that, but I don't want you to worry, okay? I'll be right there with you, and our doctor is very nice. But I did schedule you an x-ray, just to make sure you're not injured."

"I'm not... injured," I told her. "I'm fine. I never get sick."

"Well, it's better to be safe than sorry," she replied.

I wished someone had told me that a long time ago.

We arrived at the doctor's office about a half hour later, and she took us in right away.