Chapter 26

Lena

The shower and change of clothes refreshed me, but they didn't wash away the heaviness in my heart. I guess you never feel quite whole when someone you love is in the hospital, instead of with you, where she belongs. Stef was always on my mind, and I wouldn't feel better until she was healthy again and safe at home.

I walked the hospital hall until I reached the nurse's station. My spirits lifted a little when I saw that my favorite nurse was on duty; she always took the time to check on Stef and update me on her progress. "Hi, Shelly," I waved. "I'm here visit Stef."

Shelly smiled. "Of course. Your wife is certainly popular today."

Her comment confused me, but I shrugged it off. "Well, thank you." I turned and headed to Stef's room.

Stef was asleep. The pain meds she was on knocked her out. I hated to wake her up. Maybe it was selfish of me, but I just had to, so I could hear her voice before I went home for the night. I loved a chair that had somehow gotten pushed close to her bed, and leaned down to kiss her cool forehead. "Stef, baby," I whispered, stroking her hand. "Can you wake up for me, honey?"

I brushed back her hair and kissed her again, and she finally moved, opening her glassy eyes. "Callie?"

"No, baby," I smiled. "It's me. Lena."

"Where's my baby?" she asked. Her voice was think and dry. "Callie, she was just here."

"Honey, I think you were just having a dream," I said gently. "Do you need a drink of water?"

She nodded a little, so I poured her a glass from the pitcher on the bedside table. "Here you go, sweetie." I put the straw to her lips so she could drink.

"I wasn't dreaming," she said, when she was finished. She seemed a bit more coherent now. Her eyes lit up. "Callie came to visit me today. Lena, she called me mom. And she told me she loves me."

I nodded, starting to believe her. Shelly's comment made sense now, and it explained how the chair got moved, anyway.

"Don't be upset with her," Stef told me. "She just wanted to see me."

"I'm not upset," I promised. "Not at all." I could see in Stef's eyes what Callie's visit had done for her; how much it meant to her. Maybe seeing our daughter was what she needed to help her heal faster. There was more to healing than doctors and medicine.

Holding her hand, I gave her one more kiss. "Why don't I let you go back to sleep, baby? I know you're tired."

"Okay," she said. "But first, Lena, I need you to do something for me."

"Sure, honey," I nodded. "Anything."

"I want you to go to the judge and ask him for a continuation on the case," she told me. "Tell him what happened to me, and ask for more time."

"Are you sure?" I asked her.

"Yes," she said. "I can't let my babies down. I'm going to be there for our girls, no matter what."

I looked into her determined face, and tears stung my eyes. "Okay, sweetheart. I'll go first thing tomorrow. I promise." I kissed her hand, then tucked her in. "Goodnight, hon. I'll see you tomorrow. I love you."

"I love you to," she said. "Goodnight."

Callie

I missed Stef the most at night. Even seeing her that day couldn't replace her goodnight hugs and kisses. Feeling lost, I wandered downstairs. Brandon's old guitar was laying on the living room couch, and I picked it up and ran my fingers over the strings. The house was so quiet. I strummed a few notes, filling the silence with a sad tune that I made up as I went along.