Chapter 22

Callie

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and looked around, a little confused. Then I remembered where I was and how I got there. I was still in Stef and Lena's bed, because I got sent home early from school. I peeked at the alarm clock on the nightstand and saw that it wasn't quite four-thirty yet. I climbed out of bed and went downstairs.

I could hear Stef and Lena talking in the kitchen, and from their voices, I could tell they were discussing something important. I knew it was wrong to eavesdrop, but I lingered in the kitchen doorway anyway, my curiosity piqued.

"She wouldn't even listen to me," said Stef, shaking her head. "She just hung up on me. Which supports my theory, by the way."

"So, she doesn't even know her father's dead?" Lena asked, frowning.

I stood there still, wondering what they were talking about, when Stef glanced over and saw me. "Callie?"

"I'm sorry," I apologized. "I just needed a drink, and I heard you talking. I didn't want to interrupt..."

She nodded, then pulled out the chair next to her. "You're old enough to hear what's going on, sweetie. Have a seat."

I sat down, feeling like I was a part of some special club, just me and them. It felt good. "So what's up?" I asked.

"Well, I located Brian's daughter," Stef explained. "Unfortunately, she wouldn't talk to me and doesn't seem to know that Brian is dead." She studied my frown. "But don't you worry, love. You know me well enough to know that I'm not gonna give up that easily."

"I know," I smiled.

"I'll do whatever it takes," she promised. "Even if I have to go find her personally and camp out outside her door."

I laughed at the idea of that. I knew she was joking, but I believed she really would do that if it came down to it. I got up and poured myself a glass of juice, then sat back down. Sipping it, I gave my foster moms a sober look. "So, are you gonna tell Bill what I did?"

"What did you do?" Stef asked me.

"I fell asleep in class today and got a discipline slip," I reminded her.

"Didn't I already tell you not to worry about it, honey?" Lena asked me.

I nodded. "I was just worried. If Bill thought we were having problems here, he might..." My voice trailed off. I couldn't finish my sentence; it was too painful. "I just don't want to mess things up. He said this home was our last chance."

"Baby," Stef sighed, laughing a little. She took my hands in hers. "You worry much too much. You're not in trouble, and we're not gonna tell Bill anything."

I felt Lena's hand on my back. "I wouldn't even call your falling asleep in class a discipline issue, honey."

Stef was still holding my hands in her lap, and she pulled me closer and hugged me. "Someday soon, you won't ever have to worry about social workers again, my love."

I nodded, resting my cheek on her shoulder, trying to imagine what that would be like.

One Week Later

"I'm so nervous," Sophia whispered, leaning against me. "I feel like I'm gonna puke."

"Please don't puke on me," I teased. Lena had pulled some strings and found us a new therapist right away, a woman named Rita Hendricks. Now, Sophia, Stef, and I sat in the waiting room, waiting for our first appointment with her.

"Aren't you nervous?" my sister asked me.

"A little," I admitted. "But hey- I'll be right there with you, like always. So don't worry."