Chapter 39

Author's note: to everyone who's been following this story, I am so sorry it's taken me so long to update. I cannot apologize enough for leaving everyone hanging. but I would NEVER give up on this story. I hope you enjoy this chapter. And stay tuned for the conclusion soon!

Callie

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw a light shining through my dad's apartment window. I hadn't missed him; he hadn't left for work yet. I knocked on his door, remembering how upset Stef had been when I'd come here before. And I thought of her back at home, where I'd left her sleeping. I wondered what she would think if she knew I was back here again.

I shook my head, trying to chase the feelings of guilt away, when I saw the dingy curtain on my dad's window move, and his door open.

"Hi, dad," I said, shoving my hands in my pockets.

"Callie," he said, sounding surprised. His forehead wrinkled with concern. "What are you doing out so late? Are you okay?"

"I need to talk to you," I told him. "Please. Can I come in? It's kind of important."

He glanced down quickly at his watch. "Sure, honey. I have a minute before I have to leave." He let me in the apartment and closed the door. So, what's up, kiddo? " he asked. "Did you and Soph make any kind of decision about where you want to live?"

I nodded. "That's what I want to talk about, dad." I sat down on the saggy sofa, and he sat across from me. I chewed the inside of my cheek nervously, wondering how I should even start to tell him what was on my mind. I decided to just go ahead and get to the point."Th-the other night," I began, "a social worker came and took us away from Stef and Lena. It wasn't because they did anything bad," I clarified. "Their foster license expired. But it was awful. The lady we stayed with locked us up in our room. There were bars on the windows, like we were animals. Sophia was really scared. And I was too."

My father looked down at his calloused hands. The expression on his face was unreadable; he had that same way of shutting down, like me. We both put walls up. "I'm sorry you had to go through that, sweetheart," he finally said. "That sounds terrible."

"It was," I agreed. "And while we were there, all we wanted was to go home. To the Fosters." I cleared my throat, knowing that what I was about to to say would likely be one of the hardest things I'd ever have to say. "Dad, I love you, and Sophia does too. You'll always be our father. But I came to ask you again to please, sign the abandonment papers, so we can get adopted. We had a good life with you and mom, and we'll never forget those days. But we have a new life now. We're happy and stable. I just don't want you to confuse Sophia more than she already is. The Fosters are what's best for us right now."

My dad nodded slowly, staring at his lap. "I've had this picture in my head for so long of the three of us being a family again. It was what kept me going all that time I was behind bars. It's hard to let go of that"

A lump formed in my throat. "I know, dad." My eyes stung as I reached for his hand.

He shook his head. "I keep thinking about the day you were born, Callie."

"Me?" I asked, raising my head.

He nodded again. "I'll never forget the moment when the doctor handed you to your mom and I. You were so small, so beautiful. It was like a dream come true for us. I never knew I had that much love inside me until I held you in my arms."

I swallowed hard, and my tears spilled over. "Daddy."

Sniffling, he pulled me into his arms and hugged me tight, rocking me. "I know what I have to do, honey," he whispered. "I've known it all along. I have to do right by that tiny baby girl. Both of my little girls. So I'm gonna sign your papers, and give you the life you deserve." He pressed a soft kiss to my wet cheek. " I'll bring them over tomorrow."

After I said goodbye to my dad, I left, closing the door behind me, and walked toward the curb. My tears were cool on my face in the night air. I wiped them away with the back of my hand, and got in the car.

"What did he say?" Lena asked, once I was buckled in. She frowned when she noticed my tear-stained face. "You look like you've been crying, honey. Is everything okay?"

I smiled the smile I'd been trying to hold back. "Everything is great. He's gonna sign the papers!"

Lena broke out in a grin and wrapped her arm around my shoulder, hugging me to her side. "That's wonderful news, honey. I'm so happy!" She squeezed my hand lovingly. "Wait until mom hears. She'll be so excited."

"Thank you for understanding why I needed to come here, mama," I said. "And thanks for bringing me over."

She stroked the back of my hand with her thumb. "I didn't mind doing it, Callie. We both know you would've come here whether I brought you or not. At least if I drive you, I can make sure you get home safely."

"Still, thank you," I said.

"You're welcome, sweets," she smiled. "No, what do you say we get ourselves home? I know you must be tired."

I nodded. Home. "That sounds good to me."

The next afternoon, our dad did come over, with the signed papers. Sophia cried when he handed them to me.

"What's the matter, Squirt?" he asked her, smoothing down her hair.

She sat down on the sofa. "I just feel sad," she said. "I can't help it."

My dad knelt down on the floor in front of her. Her took her small hands between his, looking her in the eye. "This is hard for me too, kiddo. But we both know it's the best thing to do."

He sighed softly. "It's not fair for a girl to grow up without a mom, Sophia. You don't have yours because of me. It would be selfish of me to take you away from here, where you have two moms to raise you."

Tears sparkled in his eyes; I felt my own eyes sting. Timidly, I placed my hand on his shoulder.

"This is a really nice house," he went on. "I could never give you anything like this. And Stef and Lena are good people. I can tell they love you girls a lot. I feel good about leaving you here with them, where you can have the kind of life you deserve. You girls deserve the world."

"But you won't be our daddy anymore," Sophia sniffled.

"Is that what you're worried about?" He shook his head. "That's not true, Soph. I'll always be your daddy. You and Callie are a part of me. Nothing could change that, or my love for the two of you."

"Promise?"

"I promise," he nodded. "This isn't goodbye, Squirt. We can still see each other now and then."

"Can we visit you sometimes?" she asked him.

"I'd love that," he agreed. "If it's alright with your moms." He glanced back at Stef and Lena, silently asking their permission.

"It's fine with us," Stef gently nodded. "And Donald, you're welcome to visit the girls here, too."

"Thank you," he smiled, standing up. "That means a lot to me." He bent down and gave Sophia a hug.

"Bye, daddy," she said, holding onto him. "I love you."

"I love you too, kiddo. I'll see you soon."

"Bye, dad," I said, as he took me in his arms and hugged me. "Thank you," I added in a whisper.

He winked. "Good luck, honey. I love you."

"I love you too," I nodded.

And then he left. I watched him walk down the sidewalk toward the bus stop. When I turned around, I was in Stef and Lena's arms. Sophia too. I held onto them, hugging them tight.

"Are you girls going to be alright?" Lena asked us. "We understand if you need some space to think, and let everything sink in."

"I'm actually okay," I told her. I was so excited, I could hardly stand it. But I managed to keep it all in, not knowing where Sophia was, emotionally, after being so upset moments ago.

"How about you, Soph?" Stef asked my sister. "How are you feeling, love?"

"I'm okay, too," Sophia said. "I'm happy." She smiled to prove it.

"You know what?" Stef laughed. "I'm happy too." She pulled us back into a hug, and kissed the tops of our heads.

To Be Continued