Chapter 2 - Answers

(Knuckles' POV)

My head hurt like I had just been dropped from a tree.

'Wait, a tree!?' I thought as I started to panic. I jumped awake, quickly looking around to see if Eggman was anywhere to be found. But instead of a white medical room, I was in a room with wooden walls. Little trinkets like vials of liquids and hanging crystals from the weirdly shaped ceiling. The ceiling had a swirl to it like there were individual rooms and beds there. There were no doors to lock me in. They were curtains of small stones and twigs. I was able to see through it but it still blocked my view in any close details of where I am.

As I started to get out of bed to walk around a bit, someone walked into the room in front of me. I couldn't see much but I saw that the figure had brown fur and a big, long tail. Maybe a squirrel?

But as I started to stand, my legs felt weak and I fell. The bump on the wooden floor caused the squirrel to react and come to my aid. I looked up to see that the squirrel had yellow paint on his face. I started getting confused as he gently helped me to the bed.

"Are you alright, sir?" The squirrel asked me, having a bit of an accent. Like Hispanic or something. He sounded worried like I broke a bone just by falling from my bed. As I was about to answer, I caught a glance in the doorway to see Tails. He was smiling at me while eating a fruit. A weirdly colored fruit.

"You're finally awake!" Tails cheered as he ran up to me and hugged me tightly. I returned the hug. It was kind of awkward since I don't give out hugs that much. Once we broke the hug, I turned to the squirrel. "What happened?"

He cleared his throat as he started to collect different vials and plants. "Last night, you arrived sleeping after encountering the doctor's toy," he answered as he started mixing something in a small mixing bowl with a dull but smooth piece of wood. He then poured the liquid from the small bowl into a weird-shaped glass and handed it to me. I gently grabbed it from the squirrel and he smiled at me before giving me a small bow. Out of confusion and awkwardness, I gave a small bow back. The squirrel left the room, leaving me and Tails.

"So," Tails began, "the village is real."

"I got that."

Just then, the squirrel walked back in with Silver and Amy. Amy sighed in relief while Silver fell on the floor. "What's the matter with him?" I asked.

"He was infected with Paralio. A plant that can paralyze you when entered into your blood," he simply replied, helping Silver to his feet. Amy took over carrying Siler, thanking the squirrel. The squirrel gave a small bow before turning to me. "Would you like a tour? We...normally do not get visitors."

-

"Let me get this straight: When your ancestors first settled into your new home, it caught fire. Half of your ancestors decided to run while the other half stayed. And your goddess, Gaia, saved you from being burned to death. Ever since then, you've been living here?" I recapped the story the squirrel, Kali, shared. He nodded. "I think it's kind of nice," Amy added as she pulled Silver away from getting lost.

Meanwhile, Tails was amazed by the village's building structures and how everything works. I would agree the architecture is interesting. It looked like the trees grew a home inside. Banners hover above us to protect us from the sun and to quickly travel without disturbing others below. The evolution in their technology is because of the robotic parts from Eggman and training grounds. It's impressive how fast they can process the big jump from one spot to another.

"Now, sadly, this is the end of the tour," Kali said apologetically. Tails pouted a bit with a small whine. Kali giggled before messing with the kid's head. "Do not worry, Tails. I am sure you are going to learn about our village with more details if you visit more." Tails' eyes grew wide and he smiled as bright as if he was given a piece of candy for the first time. "Are there any questions you have?" Kali asked, his tail wagging a bit in excitement.