Chapter 18 - Confliction

(Oana's POV)

     As soon as we returned to base, I dragged the little wolf with me to our room. I sat him down before walking into the strange washroom. I searched through the cabinets and shelves for a medical kit of sorts. But there was nothing. I walked out and sat on my bed before calling Kali.

     "Yes, Chieftess?" He answered, sounding like he had not slept properly in a few hours. I shook it off before speaking. "Where are you? I need some assistance in healing."

     "I just arrived in the medical wing. It has been busy since you returned. You can come and do what you need to do here. I will let the others know."

     "Thank you, Kali. May the goddess give you strength." I ended the call before looking over at the red wolf. He gripped his hand tight and close to his chest. I squinted in worry. I took a breath before offering my hand to him. He looked up at me as I asked, "Can you walk?"

     Gadget nodded his head before reaching his hand out to grab mine. Once our hands locked, I pulled him to his feet and led him to the medical wing. But as soon as we left our room, "Oana!" I turned to see Fuschia and Lot running up toward me and Gadget. Worry washed over me as they walked into a halt.

     "Are you two alright? I am sorry I left you behind on the shuttle. I did not mean to leave you there," I started to explain, repeating my apologies. Before I could continue, Fushcia placed a hand on my shoulder and smiled at me. "We know how you are feeling. Watching everything happen at once while worrying about other people away from your line of sight is stressful. And after seeing Gadget with some cuts from that jerk-face jackal," I let out a little snort in response to the name for the masked jackal. "We understand your stress."

     I smiled and took her paw into mine. I nodded in thanks before leading everyone to the medical wing.

-

     After a few minutes of wrapping cuts and cooling bruises, I finally let out a breath of relief. My chest was weighed with worry and responsibility. Gadget and his friends were sitting on the same bed, discussing the fight between me and the jackal. I smiled at their cheered faces. I went to sit down on a nearby stool before hearing my earpiece beep for my attention. I groaned and answered.

     "What is it, Echidna?" I growled into the earpiece, waiting for his call to another mission or errand he did not want to attend.

     "Wow, rude. Do you know where the kid is? The red wolf?" He asked while trying to remember the little wolf's name. I rolled my eyes in annoyance before answering for him. "You mean, Gadget?"

     "Yes! Gadget! Do you know where he is? I have a mission for him to go with Sonic. Sonic is not at his best and I'm getting bored. I need him in the strategy room as soon as you find him."

     I sighed before answering. "Yes, Echidna, he is fine. Some cuts, and bruises, and nothing broken. Great to see you care for the little thing."

     The echidna went silent before he hung up our line. I let out a sigh before standing to my feet. I felt myself struggle to stand, feeling my legs shake under my weight. I took a breath before balancing myself and walked toward the rookies. I reached out a hand to the red wolf. He looked up at me with curiosity and confusion. I nodded. He nodded back. He knew what I was asking of him. He took my hand as I pulled him to his feet and walked toward the strategy room.

     As we entered, the blue hedgehog was in the middle of the room stretching his legs and limbs. I could only shake my head and squeeze the bridge of my nose in response. Why in the middle of the whole room? Perhaps a wall. I let out a sigh as the red echidna entered from a different room. He started to talk with Rose as Whisp walked up to me. I lifted my head with a growl in greeting. He did the same.