Chapter 4 - Meeting

(Oana's POV)

     It has been only a day since I have allied with the rebellion to stop the mad doctor. I looked at the hologram from my wristband. It showed a picture of my home. I turned it off as I heard some footsteps from the hallway. I looked up to see the pink rascal, Amy Rose, had walked in. She leaned on the doorframe and greeted me. "Rough being away from home, yeah?"

     I nodded in agreement. "I never thought my first time traveling outside my land would be in a war."

     "We all have our ups and downs. Maybe after the war, I could take you for some ice cream?" She offered. I tilted my head to the side in confusion. Her eyes went wide. "You've never had ice cream before?" I shook my head no. The rascal was running in place, excited before stopping at the sound of her bracelet and my wristband beeped red.

     "Commander Knuckles here. I request you head over to the strategy room. I have something to talk about on our next mission," the echidna said through the technology before the little red light went out. Rose sighed as she opened the door for me. I stood up from my seat and placed my spear behind my back before walking out of the room. Not before nodding to Rose as a thanks. She nodded back before walking with me, the door closing itself.

     "I am still curious how your technology can do things by itself," I said with curiosity, eyeing every door we walked past. Rose giggled at my inquisitiveness. "You'll get used to it. I bet you'll even make your unique tech!" She cheered, almost jumping into her step. I hummed at the thought. "I will think about it."

     Rose then sighs in slight annoyance. "Is something the matter?"

     She jumped at my question. "Excuse me?"

     "You seemed a bit ruffled. Was it something I said?" I asked, worried that I made a wrong move or did not say the right thing.

     "Oh! It's nothing! It's just-" she stopped herself, thinking of what to say before continuing. "You talk as if you don't know how to...properly talk." I looked at her oddly. "Do you mind giving an example?"

     She sighed before thinking of her words carefully. "It's when you say "did not" or "it is" instead of "didn't" and "it's". It just sounds a little, how do I say it, rude? No! Childish? No!"

     "Annoying? Uncommon?" I added, trying to help her find her lost words.

     "Kind of?" She questioned before groaning, rubbing her face with her hands. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I know you and your people are closed off from the world and all-"

     "Do not be," I interrupted. She looked up at me, wondering what I was going to say next. "It is hard to learn something new after learning it differently your whole life. But, as I heard your conversations with your friends, I could...give it a try if it makes you more comfortable?"

     She smiled at me. But before she could think of any words to say, I stopped her at the room we needed to go in. I pressed the right code into the keypad and opened the door for us. I took a step aside, allowing Rose to go in first. She nodded a thanks as I returned it.

     Once we were both inside, the door slowly closed behind us as we walked toward the main desk where the white hedgehog, Silver, waited at a desk with a purple chameleon and a small flying bee. As soon as Silver made eye contact with us, the little small flew to my face, forcing me to stop walking to avoid being touched.

     "Hi! I'm Charmy! What's your name? Do you have a name? Where are you from? How old are you? Are you some kind of scavenger?" The bee asked, hitting me with every question that popped into his little head. I tried to quiet him down but it was no use. I could not stop him. He continued asking question after question before I could answer them. As I tightened my fist, calming myself from doing something I would have regretted, the purple chameleon pulled the child away from my face, covering his hand over the boy's mouth.