Chapter 11 - Sad Traditions

(Oana's POV)

The sun has fallen for the moon to rise. Shining her glow upon the nearest flowing river. The river glowed brightly under our feet. Everyone was wearing black as a sign of grief. While have covered my face in black paint, imitating tears and exhaustion. Black paint surrounded my body in stripes and sleeves as I wore green and gold leaves with leather cloth covering my body. A cape touched the ground made out of only golden twigs and leaves. I wore a headpiece of black jewels across my forehead. An elegance to this saddened day.

I held the crown of my mother in my hands. I began to walk forward into the glowing river. The cape behind me is slowly being held up by the water. As I took my slow steps further into the water, my people started to sing. A song we know from birth. A song with no words. Their voices echoed in the woods as I found a place to stop at my waist. The weight of the song carried onto me, making me hesitant to let go.

But I must. It is the way to move on. Not held back by the past.

I gently let the crown flow on the water as the river slowly drifted the crown away. My people start to sing softer. I pulled my hands together for a prayer.

"Please, my goddess," I whispered, placing my knuckles on my forehead where the center jewel was held. "Lead her into your embrace." I looked up to see the crown slowly drift out of my sight. Tears grew in my eyes. I looked up at the sky, letting a single tear roll down my cheek. The black paint dripped into the river with my tear. "Keep my mother safe, my goddess." As my people began to raise their voices in the song, I joined. My voice sang with my grief. My fear. My sadness. Putting all of my heart into the song.

As the song began to soften, I opened my eyes to see little spots of light in the distance. More tears fell from my eyes. My mother is with our goddess now. She is safe. "I will miss you, Mother."

-

After we walked out of the water, the villagers lit up a big bonfire and started playing music. Bringing spirits up in hope and delight. Each ate and danced and sang around the giant fire. It is a celebration of the deceased. The end and to the light of the beginning. A cycle that never ends. It is different from others, but to us, this is our way of passing and moving.

I looked down at my wooden plate. I have not eaten anything. The paint on my face showed the stained tears I cried in the river. Kali took notice of my actions and emotions quickly. He understood what I was feeling. He rested a hand on my shoulder. I glanced at him before nodding to him. He nodded back. He does not have to tell me to explain the reasons why we express our grief in different ways. It is best to embrace it instead of refusing it. Not believing that the reality in front of us is not our wanted reality.

That is life to us. To all living creatures.

With a sigh, I finally stood from my seat and joined the circle. I quickly grew joy in the songs we sang, the dances we were dancing, and the food we ate. I felt happy. I felt restored. I felt at peace. I felt the peace my people were feeling.

Tonight was hard for all of us. But we will succeed in the future. No matter where our passed loved ones go. We are all one.