Chapter 14 - Letters & Games

(Oana's POV)

     We took cover hiding from the doctor's roaming machines to find us. I kept an ear out for any sign of the machines coming while Whisp started discussing with Sonic.

     "I'm still stuck on the whole "you two know each other" bit," the stubborn hedgehog pushed with his legs crossed like a child. I glanced out into the street of the falling ruined city to see no machines in sight. I double-checked with the trust of the ears. Still nothing but the wind. I gave Whisp a nod to speak.

     "Infinite can create virtual reality projections. They have mass and form, but not heart and soul. That's how Oana knew about my fake copy," Whisp says while pointing at me.

     I planned to listen to their conversation, but I kept getting distracted. The image of the jackal we are against entered my mind. My chest felt tight. My throat becoming dry. I pulled out the parchment from my pocket and glanced over it. It held black ink. The handwriting needed some practice but was readable. Before I could make a word on the parchment, someone started speaking in the earpiece.

     "Sonic! Oana! Are you two alright?" Rose asked worried. I let out a sigh before answering. "Yes, we are fine. The sightings of Whisp were fake. The cause of the jackal's power with the gem. We are heading back to base."

     "Great! Thanks for the new information! Come back safely!"

     We all stood to our feet, ready to leave. "Hey, Shadow!" Sonic began. I am starting to get annoyed with his voice. "Are you coming with us? We can always need the extra hand."

     "No. I have other errands to attend." Whisp turned to me. We reached for each other's hands and brought them to our foreheads. We held our contact for a small moment before releasing. "May your goddess guide you, Princess."

     I nodded. "May the goddess give you strength, Whisp." With that, he left without looking back. I felt something warm swirl around my figure. It was as if someone was hugging me but was not there. I welcomed it as I took in a deep breath. Letting my body feel relaxed before turning to Sonic. "Let us go to the base. Rose will be worried if we are late."

     Sonic snapped out of his trance and agreed. "Yeah, yeah! I think Amy would've torn this city apart if she knew I was late or something."

     I let out a small laugh. Sonic gasped. "Was that a laugh? Did I make you laugh? The cold hard warrior, Oana, laughed. I really must be in paradise!"

     "Hush."

     "What? Can't I have a little fun with ya?"

-

     Once we arrived at the resistance base, Rose ran into Sonic's arms. She started crying in relief for his safety. Sonic seemed a little discomforted. I raised a brow at the action. Not wanting to question anything further, I walked up to the red echidna and patiently waited for his attention. After he was done greeting Sonic and dismissing everyone, his eyes met mine.

     "What are you doing?" He asked me with a raised brow.

     I cleared my throat before speaking. "Is there anything else to do for the resistance? A patrol? An assistant in the medical wing? Anything?"

     He gave me a soft smile. "You don't have to do anything. Take this time to relax. Rest until your time is needed." I gave him a questionable look. He tilted his head with unsureness. "What's the matter?"

     I walked to the hall, checking if anyone was listening. No one was in my sight. I closed the door, locking it with my fingerprint. I gave my attention to the echidna once more.