Chapter 7 - Failed

(Amy Rose's POV)

I quickly rushed back to the gym where Oana was. I didn't want her to wait on me with a dry throat and a finished sandwich. I mean sammich! This is going to be annoying to remember. I knocked on the door before entering, holding a water bottle in my hand.

"Hey, Oana! I'm back! I got you-" I stopped as I didn't see her anywhere. What was left was a half-eaten sandwich on the white plate. I tapped my bracelet.

"Amy-"

"Oana's gone!"

"Gone? What do you mean gone!?"

-

(Oana's POV)

My body glowed green as I ran through the trees. I had to hurry. Mother needs me. My people need me. They need me. I cannot fail them. As I ran, my earpiece connected me to a conversation.

"Sonic, there's an attack in the Mystic Jungle! Silver is fighting him...or it, whatever!" Rose said in a panic.

"I'm on my way! I'm looking forward to a second round with this guy!" The blue hedgehog replied.

"And Oana's gone! Disappeared without a trance!"

A sudden hurt feeling hit my chest. I should have written her a letter or something. Not leave a good leftover sammich. Before I could hear Sonic's response, I turned off my earpiece and ran faster. I soon saw fire ahead. I slid to a stop, my bow at the ready. Trees were burning to the blazes. I heard someone struggle to lift something. I quickly turned to see Kali trying to lift a fallen tree. I rushed toward him and helped him.

"Chieftess?" He said in shock but I interrupted him from saying anything else.

"Use your gift, Kali! On three!" I yelled out before counting. "One. Two. Three!" We both lifted the tree slowly but held it high enough to where some citizens and soldiers of the resistance crawled out. Once they were out, I pointed their way out of the chaos. I turned to Kali. "Kali! Where is my mother? Are there others?"

"Chief went north to fight off the machines! The others are helping the innocent escape the flames!"

I nodded. "Go help the others! I'm finding my mother!"

Kali nodded before running in the other direction. Before he went too far, he turned around to face me and crossed his arms in front of his chest. "May the goddess guide you, Chieftess!"

I crossed my arms like him, "May the goddess guide you and others!" I turned away, slid my mask on, and ran. I dodged away from many falling burning trees. I then found Mother with the jackal defending Silver. I slid over to Silver and helped him get away from danger. "Thanks, Oana," he said.

"Do not thank me yet," I replied before hiding him behind a large rock. I looked around and saw Kali once more. I whistled for him and he followed quickly. "Kali, watch over him until you see help. Try to care for him as best as you can."

"Yes, Chieftess," he nodded, beginning to pull out his bag of medical supplies. Siler looked up at me with a black eye with confusion before making a connection. Surprise on his face. "Wait! Chieftess!? You! You're a-"

I left without hearing another word out of him and ran to Mother's side. "I'm here, Mother." She glanced at me, turning her scowl into a grin. She held her sword high as I held my bow tight.

"Ah, the Chief and the Chieftess reunited. What a pleasure to see you two still standing," the jackal said with small hints of amusement. I growled under my breath. "Watch your words, jackal! Before you regret it!" I spat. The jackal only chuckled at my words. "Such confident words, but I can taste your fear, girl."