Chapter 23

When I woke up, my body was still weak and shivering, I scanned the area near the riverbank.

The rain had finally ceased, and the chaos of the woods surrounded me, but there was no sign of Gabriel

The rain had finally ceased, and the chaos of the woods surrounded me, but there was no sign of Gabriel. Panic surged through me as I called out his name.

"Gabriel! Gabriel, where are you?" I shouted, my voice echoing through the dense forest.

There was no response, only the haunting silence of the wilderness. Fear gnawed at the edges of my mind as I desperately searched for any trace of him.

"Gabriel!" I called out again, my heart pounding in my chest.

As I stumbled through the underbrush, my mind raced with possibilities. Had he been swept away by the river? Had he been captured by raiders? Or worse, had he been infected by the zombies that lurked in the shadows?

Tears welled in my eyes as I clung to the hope that he was still alive.

We had been through so much together, and the thought of losing him now was unbearable.

Suddenly, I spotted something on the ground near a cluster of trees.
It was Gabriel's backpack, partially hidden among the foliage. My heart sank as I rushed over to it, my hands trembling as I unzipped the bag.

Inside, I found some of our supplies, but no sign of Gabriel.
The realization that he was truly gone hit me like a punch to the gut. I slumped to the ground, tears streaming down my face.

"Please, no," I whispered, the pain of loss overwhelming me.

As I sat there, my mind filled with memories of our journey together.
The laughs, the struggles, the moments of hope we had shared. It all felt like a lifetime ago, and now, I was left to face this harsh reality alone.

Suddenly I stumbled upon the sight of a familiar leg, my heart leaped with hope.

I ran towards it, praying that my eyes weren't deceiving me. To my immense relief, it was Gabriel lying there, unconscious but alive.

"Gabriel!" I called out, my voice a mix of joy and tears. "Wake up, please!"

I knelt beside him, gently shaking his shoulder. After what felt like an eternity, his eyes fluttered open, and he looked up at me, his gaze filled with confusion.

"Hey there," I said, my voice choked with emotion. "You scared me, but I'm so glad you're okay."

Gabriel blinked, slowly registering his surroundings. As he realized it was me kneeling beside him, a small smile appeared on his lips.

"I thought I lost you," I admitted, tears streaming down my face as I embraced him tightly.

"You'll never lose me," he said, his voice soft but filled with determination. "I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere."

We held onto each other as if our lives depended on it, finding solace in the safety of each other's arms.

The weight of the world seemed to lift off our shoulders as we clung to one another, grateful for this unexpected reunion.