Chapter 34

I couldn't help but notice the compact interior. The plane was a modest aircraft, perfectly suited to accommodate between 10 to 15 passengers.

The passenger seats were arranged in rows, with just enough legroom to keep the journey bearable

The passenger seats were arranged in rows, with just enough legroom to keep the journey bearable. The windows, though not as expansive as those in larger planes, provided us with a glimpse of the snowstorm that raged outside, a relentless force of nature.

The cockpit, separated from the passenger area by a sturdy door, was a realm of buttons, switches, and dials. It was evident that James, our pilot, knew this aircraft inside out. A sense of trust in his capabilities settled over us as we prepared for takeoff.

Despite its modest size, the plane represented our lifeline, a means of venturing into the unknown and seeking answers to the pressing questions that had plagued us for so long.

It might not have been grand, but it held the promise of hope, a chance for our survival in this unforgiving world.

Veronica's warm smile put us at ease as we settled into the plane's compact interior. She gestured to the seats, assuring us that despite the plane's lack of luxury, it had proven reliable on many journeys. Her calm demeanor and assurance were comforting as we prepared for takeoff.

I expressed my gratitude with a simple "Thanks again" before following her to a small cabin where she was busy arranging some papers.

She glanced back, acknowledging my appreciation, and replied, "Ah, no need."

It was clear that Veronica was a professional who had seen her fair share of challenges in the air, and her confidence was contagious, alleviating our concerns about the journey ahead.

I waited for a moment, allowing the question that had been weighing on my mind to form. "You both had a plane," I began, "so why didn't you fly to another safer place earlier?"

Veronica paused in her tasks, looking back at me with an engaging smile.

She took a seat at a makeshift table and began to share her story. "You know, we did think about that," she started, her eyes reflecting a hint of nostalgia, "but it didn't sit right with us. We didn't want to leave like cowards.
We wanted to help, and when we heard about your plan, we felt compelled to offer our assistance."

I nodded, genuinely curious about her motivations. "That's admirable," I commented. "But what made you want to help so much? Was there a specific reason?"

She leaned back in her seat, her eyes focused on a distant memory. "I've always had this dream of helping people," she admitted. "When I was younger, my dad died while serving our city.

 "When I was younger, my dad died while serving our city