Chapter 25

The noise of helicopters grew louder, a glimmer of hope flickered in my heart.

Perhaps rescue was finally on its way. I hurriedly tried to determine the direction from which the helicopters were approaching, but my attention was abruptly diverted as a zombie emerged from the woods, fixated on Gabriel lying defenseless on the ground.

Fear surged through me as I realized the imminent danger.

I knew I had to act quickly to protect Gabriel. Without a second thought, I grabbed a nearby stone and brandished it as my makeshift weapon.

"Stay back!" I shouted at the zombie, trying to muster as much courage as I could despite my trembling hands.

The creature lurched towards me, its rotting flesh and lifeless eyes making it a chilling sight.

I had encountered zombies before, but never in such a perilous situation.

My heart pounded in my chest as I swung the stone, attempting to fend off the advancing undead.

"Get away from him!" I yelled, my voice filled with determination.

The zombie's movements were erratic and unpredictable, making it difficult to land a decisive blow. I took a step back, trying to keep a safe distance between us.

"Gabriel, wake up!" I called out to him, praying that he would regain consciousness and join the fight.

I swung the stone once more, managing to strike the zombie on the shoulder, but it seemed to have little effect. The creature kept coming, undeterred by my efforts.

I mustered all my strength and focused on the task at hand - defeating the zombie.

With a determined grit, I targeted its weaker areas, delivering precise blows, and finally managed to subdue the threat.

Panting and covered in sweat, I turned my attention to Gabriel, who lay unconscious on the ground.

"Gabriel, wake up," I pleaded, gently shaking his shoulders. "Come on, you have to wake up."

As the exhaustion and pain from the fight took their toll on me, I felt my body weaken and my mind cloud with despair.

The weight of the situation pressed down on me, and I struggled to keep moving.

Beside me, Gabriel also battled with his own fever and infection, making our journey even more arduous.

"I can't believe this is happening," I said, my voice trembling with frustration and fear. "Not now, not when we've come so far."

As the weight of our struggles and the harsh reality of our situation settled upon us, I found myself overwhelmed with emotions.

My body trembled with exhaustion and despair, and tears streamed down my cheeks as I clutched Gabriel's hand tightly.

"I love you, Gabriel," I choked out through sobs, my voice filled with heartache. "I'm so sorry we couldn't make it through this."

His hand felt weak in mine, and I could see the toll the fever and infection had taken on him.

I wished with all my heart that there was something more I could do, but I felt utterly powerless in the face of our circumstances.

"I'm grateful for every moment we had together," I said, tears flowing freely. "You made me feel alive, even in the midst of all this chaos."

I clung to his hand, the last connection to the love we had shared, and closed my eyes, succumbing to the darkness that beckoned.

In the embrace of unconsciousness, memories of our journey together flickered in my mind like a bittersweet montage.

The moments of laughter, the tender embraces, and the fierce determination we displayed in the face of adversity were etched in my soul.

As I drifted into slumber, I felt a strange sense of peace.

It was as if the world had paused for a moment, allowing us to find solace in each other's presence, even amid the chaos and devastation of the zombie apocalypse.

In that peace, Gabriel and I were together again, reliving the cherished memories we had created.

We wandered through a world untouched by fear and danger, our love transcending the barriers of reality.

*
*
*
:(

*
*
*

As the helicopter soared through the sky, I, observed the thick plumes of smoke rising from the ground.

Instinctively, I knew that where there was smoke, there might be survivors in need of help.

"Attention team," I called out over the radio to my crew. "We've spotted smoke in the distance.

It could be a sign of survivors

It could be a sign of survivors. Let's head towards that direction and investigate."

As we approached the source of the smoke, my heart raced with anticipation and hope.

In a world overrun by zombies and destruction, finding survivors was a rare and precious occurrence.

"There, on the ground," one of my crew members pointed out, "I can see people!"

"Confirmed, I see them too," I replied. "Proceed with caution and be ready for anything."

"We've successfully located the survivors, and they are now at the safe zone," I reported. "They are exhausted and in need of medical attention, but they are alive."

"Good work, Officer. Any casualties?" my superior asked.

"There is one casualty, sir," I replied somberly. "One of the males did not make it. He is not breathing. I repeat, he is not breathing."

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line, a heavy realization of the price paid in the fight for survival.

"Understood, Officer. I'm sorry to hear that," my superior said. "Please ensure the survivors receive the necessary medical care and support. We'll arrange for proper arrangements for the deceased."

"Yes, sir," I acknowledged. "We'll make sure they receive all the help they need......"