Chapter 40

We secured the door with gym equipment for now, james said.

I turned to Jack and asked, "Are you sure you're willing to go first?"

Jack, with a fearless grin, responded, "Of course, I'm always up for leading the 'charge.'"

He climbed the makeshift staircase we had set up to reach the window. As he ascended, the scene outside the window came into view. He saw that the gym room was attached to a spacious classroom. "Yes, there's a classroom there," he reported.

"But what's the problem?" my dad asked.

Jack looked back and said, "There are students in there.... I mean now Zombies.."

Veronica, with a worried expression, asked, "What now?"

Jack, assessing the situation, said, "Give me something."

"Why?" I asked.

"Just give it to me," he insisted. I passed him a box of tennis balls. With careful precision, he slowly opened the top window and took out one ball. He positioned it at the exit door and then, with a practiced hand, threw it.

The tennis balls bounced and clattered outside the classroom, creating a ruckus.

The zombies, who were once intent on devouring us, turned their attention to the sound and began to shuffle out of the room like a horde of undead lemmings.

Jack seized the opportunity and swiftly jumped through the window and entered the classroom.

He moved with a sense of purpose, reaching the door and closing it behind him.

As we all gathered in the classroom, one by one, crossing through the window, the tension was palpable.

First, I passed through the window, followed by Veronica, my dad, and James. The gym equipment barricading the door was sturdy, but not strong enough to hold back the relentless horde outside.

It was Gabriel's turn to make the crossing, and just as he attempted to do so, the door cracked, unable to withstand the zombies' unyielding assault.

Gabriel found himself caught in the middle as the zombies charged at him. In a split-second decision, he crossed through the window, using the makeshift staircase to leap to the other side, and swiftly closed the window behind him.

We breathed a collective sigh of relief and I asked, "Are you okay?"

Gabriel replied, "Yes, zombies can't jump that high, right?"

My dad reassured us, "Yes, they can't."

As we peered outside to the ground, the sight of the once innocent students, now turned into zombies, was heart-wrenching.

They roamed the grounds, playing aimlessly and attacking each other.

The scene was so gruesome that my dad decided to close the curtains. It was already night, and we couldn't risk turning on all the lights inside the classroom.