Prologue

Aurora slid out of an SUV, a bloodied lip and a cut on her forehead glistening with dark purplish red blood.

"You'd better have a good reason for putting your hands on another student and getting library duty." Her adopted father growled, snatching Aurora's phone and shoving her inside the three story home.

"I do." Aurora deadpanned.

"Get your ass in the living room and sit." He growled, yanking her school bag from her grip.

"Yessir." She obeyed, trudging out of the room after kicking her boots off.

A few moments later, her father steps into the room with two bottles of Gatorade and a plate of snacks. He sets Aurora's snacks and drink on his end table, and sits down.

He looks at Aurora expectantly. "Speak." He commands.

"..Vince slapped my bottom, catcalled me and called me a slut, so I told him to fuck off and go play with someone else, and Karlee got pissed and punched and headbutted me, so I punched her and broke my ring. And the finger it was on." Aurora says.

Her father looks like he's deep in thought.

"Alright. I'll talk to your mother about this, for now you're off the hook." He says, tossing her phone at her and holding out the plate of snacks.

"Thank you sir." She said, picking up a cookie.

"Mhm. Here, turn something on, I'm heading to David's." He said, standing up.

"Okay. Should I cook or just order out later?" She asked, finishing off her cookie.

"Order out. I won't be home til late." He says and then leaves.

The rest of the night, Aurora binged her old favorite cartoons from childhood.