9-Kida

I tripped over about ten thousand branches on the way there. My knees were a little bit scraped up, but I didn't pay any attention to it. I was just trying my best to keep up with Nowaki. He told me he had been down the path so much that he knew where every stick and rock was. That's why he wasn't falling around every corner and bend in the tiny path he had made over the years.

What we were hiking through was actually quite green. Vines with little green leaves grew up the trunks of the bigger trees while the little ones surrounded them, hoping to be as lush as the rest someday. On the ground there was dark brown dirt and a thin blanket of some odd type of grass surrounding the tiny trail we walked on. Once in while I'd see a little flower or a broken branch, which gave this area a little personality...it wasn't all just flat grass.

"Ok, we're almost there." Nowaki said suddenly, making me jump a little. Not only was I anxious because I was tripping like a fool the whole way here, but I was going to have to take my jacket off to swim. Nowaki said I wouldn't have to take my shirt off, but he and I both knew I'd have to take off the jacket.

I knew he had already seen my cuts, but it wasn't like I wanted him to see them...it was an accident. Once I took my jacket off, they'd be completely exposed, and he'd probably sit there staring. I didn't want that. I couldn't stand the way they looked at all. I sighed, quietly though, so that Nowaki wouldn't hear it.

We suddenly entered a little flat area of sand. It was almost like a tiny beach area. Trees encased the swimming hole, leaving a circle of light, which shone down onto the calm water. The water wasn't crystal clear, but I could see the bottom pretty well. There wasn't many rocks in it, which I was glad for, and it looked quite deep too. It really was pretty, like Nowaki had said. I felt sort of at peace here.

"...It's nice." I breathed, setting my stuff down and looking around. He nodded, doing the same.
"The water shouldn't be very cold..." He dipped his foot in the river after kicking off his shoes. "It's alright." He said, putting both feet in.

I watched as he bent down and stroked the water with his hands. Ripples glided across to other side. He turned to face me and smiled. I felt my heart flutter again and blushed a tiny bit.

"Ready?" He asked. I gave him a small nod, even though I honestly wanted to just go crawl in a hole and never come out. I really didn't want to take my jacket off.

"I'll get in the water in a minute..." I said turning away. He smiled and turned back around. Ok...come on. He already knows... I thought to myself. It's fine. It's fine...right? I turned my head slightly and glanced at him. His shirt was already off and he was halfway in the water. I grabbed the hem of my Hoodie and slowly pulled it over my head.

After stuffing it in my bag, I gave my wrists a quick glance. Same as always. All cut up and irritated looking. I sighed in frustration, then shook my head. No. I wasn't going to let this ruin the whole trip. I turned back around and found Nowaki staring at me. I clenched my fists and headed towards the water. Once at the edge, I stuck my feet in. It actually wasn't as cold as I thought it'd be. Nowaki was still looking at me as I stepped in further.

"Come, on Kida. Get over here. It's not that bad, right?" He asked. I nodded.

"It's fine." I said slowly getting in. Eventually, I made it up to my shoulders. The water was nice and refreshing after such a long hike.