16-Nowaki

I straightened things out around my house as I waited for Kida's arrival. My mom and I made sure everything was spotless before he came, but I was still pretty nervous. What if he didn't like my house? What if he was uncomfortable and wanted to go home? Those thoughts bothered me...a lot.

"Nowaki." My Mom said. I turned my head in her direction and she smiled at me. "You don't need to be nervous. I'm sure it'll all be fine."

I nodded, though I was still a bit panicked. As I straightened out the magazines on the coffee table, a thought came to my mind. I realized I still couldn't understand why he continued to cut his wrists. I just didn't know how to stop it. I could ask my Mom, I suppose. She was a therapist.

"Hey Mom..." I paused when she looked at me. Maybe it wasn't a good idea. She might make Kida feel unwelcome if she started asking questions. "Um...actually, never mind." She eyed me and then looked back down at the paperwork she had in her hands. I sat on the couch and leaned my head back, staring at the ceiling. There wasn't anything else I could do to make the house look better. It was usually well kept up anyway.

I looked around again. All the plants we're aligned perfectly, they had all been watered, the pillows were right where they should be on the couches, all the wires to our T.V. had been tucked away neatly and out of sight..Everything was fine.

So why was I still so panicked? My mom walked over to me and sat down. I knew she could tell I was on edge. After all, it was her job to be able to tell these things. I tapped my foot as she looked at me.

"What's got you so worried?" She asked me. I shrugged in response.

"I honestly have no clue..." I sighed.

"You had friends over plenty of times before..." She replied. "Could it be that you like this boy?" She added. I knew she'd probably say something like that. Even though I had prepared myself and had thought of answer beforehand, when she actually said it, I froze. I wasn't sure if she was going to be angry or disappointed or what...

"Well...I..." I couldn't seem to get an answer out and began to blush. It was stupid, but I couldn't help it. It wasn't exactly easy knowing your mom knew you liked a guy when you yourself we're also a guy. It wasn't just difficult...it was scary. What was odd was that I didn't have a problem telling any one else I was bi. Why was I afraid to tell my Mom of all people?

"Sweetheart, are you worried I'm upset with you?" She waited for a response. I could only nod. She laughed and I faced her.

"W-what?" I stuttered. She shook her head and ruffled my hair.

"Of course I'm not upset with you. I don't believe that it's wrong to fall in love with someone of the same gender. We're all people, you know." Her smile was reassuring. I felt so relieved I could pass out.

"Thank you, Mom..." I sighed in relief. At least now I didn't have to avoid talking about him. Then, as if she had read my mind, she said,

"Tell me about him before he gets here." And I began to tell her all about Kida and his wonderful qualities