11-Kida

I stared at him, blank faced. Neither one of us said anything. We just stared. He didn't...no...he couldn't have...I continued to stare at him and slowly, my cheeks became hotter than they ever had been before. I could feel my hands starting to tremble as well. Why? Why did he do that? We were still staring at each other. One of us had to say something. Anything...

It remained silent. I felt the my hands starting shake a little more. Tears started to form in my eyes. The funny things was, I had no idea why. Nowaki suddenly looked panicked.

"K-kida?" He said. His voice was a bit worried and I blinked the tears back.

"What?" I almost stuttered. He looked at me apologetically.

"I...I'm sorry I did that...I didn't mean to...well..." He was tripping over his words. I felt a small smile form on my face as I wiped my remaining tears away.

"No...it's ok. You didn't upset me." I reassured him. He looked doubtful.

"But...you were-"

"Yeah...I know. Trust me, it's ok. I don't know why that happened..." I smiled at him again. He looked at me with...amazement almost. Had he never seen me smile before? I felt sort of...bad. After a few moments, I said, "We should...probably drink some water and eat something."

"S-sure..." He said, following me out of the creek. Once we were on shore, I dug through our snack bag and pulled out the water we brought, and some granola bars. I tossed one to Nowaki and he caught it, then sat down. I walked over and sat next to him. I glanced at him as I unscrewed my bottle cap. He looked kind of embarrassed...it was a bit odd seeing him like that, because he was always so confident. It must have been my fault for staring at him for so long, and then crying for some unknown reason.

"Really, Nowaki...it's okay." I said. He only nodded and ripped open his granola bar. He just kind of stared at it. I couldn't read his expression or his mood. Did he feel bad? Was he just embarrassed? Or...was he mad at me? I panicked a little and scooted in the sand so that I was sort of in front of him. "Nowaki?"

"Yeah?" He responded.

"I'm...I'm sorry." I tried to think of something other than that, but it was only thing I could come up with. He looked up at me and laughed.

"What are you sorry for?" He said. I stared at him for a second.

"I don't know...for making you feel bad, I guess..." I trailed off and he shook his head.

"You didn't make me feel bad at all." He paused. "...I just don't know if that was...acceptable."

"Sure it was." I blurted. He looked up at me again. Oh god...what did I just say? Did that sound weird? Was I a creep for saying that? It was quiet and I continued speaking to save us from another awkward silence. "I...I mean, if I didn't want you to then...no, uhh...ok, if you..." I struggled to say what I meant, and he just stared at me. I wasn't making the situation any better. Luckily, he spoke.

"So...if I did it again someday, that would be okay?" He asked. I blushed, then turned away from his face, nodding. I could practically feel his smile. "Okay...good." He said. Leaning back on the sand. Good? Did that mean he would do it again someday?

I hoped so...