19-Kida

We sat around the dinner table in silence. Nowaki and I avoided eye contact, and his Mom looked between us countless times. She knew something was up, but she probably wouldn't feel right unless she asked directly. I really hoped she didn't. I took another bite of the garlic bread I had in my hand.

"So...how's the food, boys?" She asked us. I nodded and swallowed.

"It's really good." I said, twirling the spaghetti onto my fork. Nowaki nodded and remained silent as he ate. It was quiet for another moment.

"How did you meet Nowaki?" Julie asked. I looked down at my plate as I spoke.

"Well...he came up to the roof top at school one day and just sat next to me." I explained she nodded, then asked Nowaki something I had been wondering for a long time.

"Why did you?" She questioned. Nowaki looked up at her and stared.

"I don't really know..." He said. She eyed him suspiciously.

"Oh come on. Tell me why. I know that you had a reason." She waited for a response, but only received rejection again.

"Geez, Mom. I really don't know." He attempted to convince her. The look on her face said she didn't believe anything he said, but she dropped it anyways. I suppose she could hear the irritation gathering in his voice. I know I certainly could. I wondered what was wrong with him.

For the rest of dinner, we talked about small things like classes, places we want to visit...things like that. It was nice just sitting at a table talking to others like a family should. We cleaned up dinner together and in the middle of cleaning, Nowaki ran upstairs to get something before he forgot. Nowaki's mom suddenly turned me and said,

"Are you alright, Kida?" She looked worried. I nodded and said,

"Yeah. I'm a little tired, that's all." I replied, giving her a small smile. She gave me the same look she had given Nowaki earlier. The disbelief on her face, and in her tone, made me feel a little panicked. Psychiatrists could see through nearly anything, and that intimidated me a lot. She pulled me forward into a hug and then held me by the shoulders.

"Kida, if there is anything that's bothering you, tell me. We're family, you know." She smiled. The word family threw me off guard.

"We are?" I blurted.

"You're with Nowaki, aren't you?" Her smile remained on her face and felt my face drop into a look of shock.

"Uh...how..." I stumbled over my words like an idiot and she laughed gently.

"Nowaki told me. It's alright, though. I'm not in disagreance with your choice. I will support my son through all of his choices, and of course, yours too." She almost seemed too perfect. She was all of the family I had ever wanted. Kind, caring, accepting...I wished deeply that I had been given such a wonderful Mom. It was no wonder Nowaki was such a great person.

"...Thank you...so much." I smiled at her, wider this time. She patted me on the back and turned just as Nowaki came running down the stairs.

"You two can go ahead and run upstairs if you'd like. Thank you for helping me." She said kindly. Nowaki and I thanked he for dinner again and jogged back upstairs to his room. Inside, the game pieces still laid scattered around messily on the ground.

"Well...I don't think we'll be able to get back to our game now..." I said picking up a Life card, wondering if I had it at one point in the game. Nowaki sighed and crouched down next to me.

"Sorry about that, Kida." He began gathering the pieces and placing them back in the box neatly. I did the same. Slowly, the floor became absent of game parts and we eventually placed the lid back on the game with everything packed inside neatly. Nowaki pushed the box back in its place in the closet.

"Well..." I yawned. "Now what?"

"It's only 8:47pm, you know." He laughed at me. I nodded and stood, then walked to his bed and sat on it.

"Sorry." I sighed and flopped backwards onto his bed. I closed my eyes for a second, then opened them quickly. If I did that I'd fall asleep instantly...the bed was too comfortable.

"We can go to bed, if you want." Nowaki smiled and tossed me the pajamas I had pulled out ealier. I took them and went into the bathroom. After getting dressed, I stared at my reflection in the mirror. Thoughts flooded my mind as I examined myself.

What was it that Nowaki found interesting at all? I was quiet, boring, and probably irritating to be around because I was so unresponsive. I didn't understand it at all. I cursed myself for being the way I was. I wished I could be better so badly that it hurt...