Part 8 | First Opening Act

The arena buzzed with activity as we stepped onto the stage, our footsteps echoing in the vast space. The crew was busy setting up equipment, adjusting lights, and fine-tuning the sound system.

I glanced at my bandmates, the familiar faces that had become my second family. Lexi was focused, her guitar slung over her shoulder as she conferred with the sound engineer. Nicole stood near the drum kit, her fingers tapping out a rhythm on her thigh as she familiarized herself with the setup. Stella was busy taking her bass guitar out of its case.

As I approached the microphone, I took a deep breath. This was our chance to make a mark on Austin's tour, to showcase our music to a new audience.

"Hey, guys," I called out to my bandmates, drawing their attention. "Let's make this soundcheck count".

Lexi offered a confident nod, her fingers strumming a few chords as she tested the sound. Stella grinned, her nervousness from earlier seemingly replaced by a newfound determination. "Time to rock this place and show them what we're capable of."

"And hey, if they weren't fans before, they will be after this." Nicole chimed in.

We moved from song to song, our music taking on a life of its own within the vast expanse of the arena.

"Sounds amazing, everyone," I called out, my voice echoing through the arena. "We're ready for Austin's tour."

Lexi's grin mirrored my own, and I could see the fire of determination in her eyes. "Yeah, we are."

Nicole's drumsticks came to a rest, her shoulders visibly relaxed. "We've got this."

The final notes of our soundcheck hung in the air, fading into a reverent silence as we stepped off the stage, our hearts still echoing with the energy of the music. As we gathered backstage, a familiar voice broke through the hush, sending a thrill of anticipation through the air.

"Well, well, well, looks like I'm in for quite the tour," Austin's voice drawled, his presence commanding the attention of everyone in the room.

I turned, my heart skipping a beat as I saw him leaning against a wall, a casual grin playing on his lips. My mouth went dry as my eyes met his, starstruck and entranced by the very presence of the musician who had inspired me for so long.

"Hey, Austin!" I managed to respond, my voice betraying a hint of nervous excitement. Lexi's sharp intake of breath beside me was barely noticeable, but it didn't escape my attention. She stood slightly tense, her gaze fixed sternly on Austin.

Austin's gaze lingered on me for a moment longer, a playful glint in his eyes. "Impressive soundcheck. You girls sure know how to rock the stage."

I felt a warm flush creep up my cheeks, my heart pounding in my chest. "Thank you so much. It's an honor to be here."

Later we stood backstage, waiting for our cue to take the stage, the nervous excitement was palpable. We exchanged glances, each of us grappling with our mix of emotions.

Stella's hands fidgeted with the strap of her bass, her voice quivering slightly. "Guys, I'm seriously considering just running away and hiding."

I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. "Trust me, we've all had that thought at least once. But remember, we've got each other's backs."

Nicole chimed in with a mischievous grin. "Yeah, and besides, running in those heels wouldn't be very rock 'n' roll, Stella."

Stella rolled her eyes playfully. "You know, they say musicians have a mysterious allure. Maybe I'll just pretend I'm embracing the mystique of disappearing."