Chapter VIII Infection

September 29, 1998 6:00 PM

"I think I know how we can save her," Carlos said as he and Lincoln were turning a corner.

"What? How?" Lincoln asked looking down at the comatose Jill in his arms.

"There's a doctor. Dr. Nathaniel Bard. He was developing a vaccine for the t-virus. Me and Tyrell were sent to find him at the R.P.D."

"Tyrell?" Lincoln asked confused

"Oh yeah, you haven't met him yet. He's a U.B.C.S. operator like me. You'll get along fine. But as I was saying, Dr. Bard said he was holed up at the hospital."

"I know where that is. We need to get there to save Jill. I'll continue to carry her if you can watch our backs while we move." He made sure there was a round in the chamber of his rifle.

"Sounds good," he responded he gave Lincoln a nod as they continued their way to the hospital.

"In here! Quickly!" Carlos said. Lincoln ran in and he shut the door behind them.

Lincoln saw a hospital bed to the left of him. The room looked like it had been converted into a makeshift hospital room. Lincoln made his way over to the bed and carefully set Jill down on the bed.

Lincoln grabbed the pillow and lifted Jill's head while he moved the pillow into place. He slowly lowered her head onto the pillow. He checked his watch. It reads: 9:20 PM.

"Come on, Jill. You need to fight the infection. We're going to get the vaccine for you," he said to her. She let out a stifled moan of pain. Her eyebrows were still furrowed from the pain. It was clear she was suffering.

"Alright, Carlos, let's go grab that vaccine," Lincoln said to him. He nodded at ashen haired young man.

They ran out of the room. They hurried down the path to the right past the front desk.

"Tyrell, where's Bard now?" Carlos asked into his radio.

"Copy, we'll go on ahead," he responded to the answer Tyrell gave him through his earpiece. He nodded to Lincoln and Lincoln kicked the door open. The duo didn't see any zombies.

They crept down the hall, keeping their eyes peeled for any zombies. The flashlight Lincoln was holding was illuminating their way.

They crept through the hallways. They were infested with zombies. The duo gunned down any they came across.

Lincoln's best friend and hopefully future something else was fighting for her life and Lincoln wasn't going to let a few zombies slow him down.

The hospital was in complete disarray. Blood scattered the walls and floor. Hospital equipment was scattered through the halls in a disorderly manner.

As they traversed the hall, Carlos noticed a courtyard in the middle of the building. They walked through a set of doors at the end of the hallway.

Lincoln and Carlos found themselves at another desk. In front of them was a door with an intercom of some sort next to it. There was also a hall down to the left. Lincoln started to go down the hall.

"Wait, Lincoln," Carlos said, grabbing his arm to get his attention. He stood in front of the door with the intercom.

"What is it bruv?" Lincoln asked him.

"Tyrell said that Bard should be in here. This is the lab at the back of the hospital"

"Then let's go talk to the cunt." Carlos walked up to the intercom. He pressed the button to activate it.

"Welcome to the office of Dr. Nathaniel Bard. Please state your business clearly into the intercom," a disembodied voice sounded through the intercom.

"Dr. Bard, are you there? I'm here to rescue you! Open the door!" Carlos said to the intercom.