Chapter X The End Of It All

October 1, 1998 2:30 AM

"Jill! Look out!" Lincoln tried to yell out to her. He saw her smile disappear as she turned on her heels. The tentacle wrapped itself around her neck and lifted her off her feet. She yelped in surprise. She shook back and forth as she tried to shake herself from the tentacle's grasp. Lincoln could hear her starting to choke as the tentacle twisted tighter and tighter around her neck. Lincoln fired toward the base of the tentacle trying to avoid hitting Jill. The tentacle thrashed about and threw Jill through a window on the other side of the room. She slammed into a railing before falling over the side to the drop below.

"Jill!" Lincoln yelled. The tentacle then bent at an angle and slammed him in the chest. The impact knocked the wind out of him. Lincoln was sent flying through the same window. As he flew through the air, he could see that Jill had landed on a catwalk above the area where they fought the insect things from the tubes. At that moment, Lincoln realized that he was going to miss the catwalk. Lincoln reached out to try to grab onto the railing of the catwalk. He reached out to grab onto the rail. The force of trying to catch the railing at such an awkward angle caused him to lose his grip.

Almost as quickly as Lincoln had gripped the railing, his hand slipped off of it. Right before he began to plummet, Lincoln felt something grab his hand. Lincoln saw Jill grabbing onto his arm with both of her hands, having difficulty due to the angle and his weight. Lincoln used this hold to grab back onto the railing. Lincoln pulled himself  up enough to grip onto the catwalk. Jill let go of him as Lincoln vaulted over the railing. Lincoln took a second to take a breath. Jill did the same.

"Thanks for love," Lincoln said to Jill.

"You need to lose some weight," she said jokingly. Lincoln chuckled at that.

"We need to move, that thing is on our " arse. Lincoln commented.

"Yeah, I think we can squeeze through here." Jill approached a grate on the floor. Lincoln approached it as well. Jill withdrew her knife and put it into the crack between the grate and the wall. Lincoln did the same on the other side. The duo used their knives to pop open the grate. The duo moved it over to the side. Lincoln and Jill resheathed their knives. Lincoln dropped to his stomach and started crawling through the air vent. Jill was close behind . Lincoln found the grate at the end and pushed on it. He felt it had a little give to it. Lincoln pushed forward as hard as he could, knocking the grate loose. With a final kick, the grate fell away.

Lincoln crawled through the hole and stood on his feet on the other side. To the left was an elevator. To the right were some large tanks that were marked as flammable. The duo stood on a metal catwalk. The duo couldn't see how far the drop below the catwalk was due to the darkness.

Jill heard a roar as The Nemesis crashed through the roof and landed next to the tanks. The duo brought their guns up to open fire on the creature. Its tentacle shot forward and wrapped around Lincoln's neck.

It lifted the man off of his feet and started to pull him towards it. Lincoln could feel the tentacle wrap tighter and tighter around his neck. Lincoln pulled his pistol out of its holster and tried firing at The Nemesis.

Jill pulled her pistol out of its holster and started firing at The Nemesis. The bullets didn't seem to affect it. Lincoln saw Jill turn to fire at the tanks. As a hole appeared in the tank, Lincoln saw the gas starting to leak. She fired another shot and the tanks ignited.

The end of the hall was engulfed in flame. Lincoln couldn't see the creature anymore as it was swallowed by the flames. The Nemesis released its grip on him as  the explosion sent the man flying backward. Lincoln hit the metal floor with a painful thud, he let out a coughing fit.