18

Zhanghao wiped his hands on his hand towel as he left the kitchen. He went to the dining room and started eating his meal. He took out his phone to watch some feeds.

As he ate, Matthew came into his mind. He tsked and went to his kakao. He had a friend that schools in Canada so he decided to ask about Matthew.

He knew the chances were low of his friend knowing Matthew but he just wanted to ask.

"Something seems off about how he's always so bright" Zhanghao muttered and continued eating.

He heard the doorbell ring. He groaned and stood up. He opened the door without asking who it was and he couldn't believe who he just saw.

"Hao" the person said with a soft voice.

Zhanghao blinked profusely as he was in shock.
"Mom" he whispered as he saw the lady look at him with a soft gaze. His mother quickly embraced him and soon started sobbing.

"Hao..I miss you so much." She kept muttering as she hugged him, she couldn't believe how Zhanghao grew up so well.

Zhanghao was really heartbroken to see her, he never in his life imagined that he would see her again. He missed her a lot but as he grew, he began to hate her.

Zhanghao softly detached himself from her making his mother look at him in worry.

"What are you doing here?" Zhanghao asked crossing his arms. His mother's face changed like she was hurt.

"What do you mean Hao, I came to see you" She said tried to touch Zhanghao but he moved away. Zhanghao pinched the ridge of his nose as he sighed.

"I don't see why you should come and see me. I don't remember giving you the right to do that, you lost that years ago" Zhanghao said and his mother could almost taste the hate in his words.

"W-What are you saying Hao, I'm your mother—

Zhanghao interrupted her by bitterly chuckling.
"Mother? Gosh who knew you were this funny.. Really? You still consider yourself a mother after what you did to me" Zhanghao said bitterly smiling.

His mother immediately felt a wave of guilt.

"Hao, I had my reasons–

"What sort of golden reasons would make you abandon your child? Why did you leave me here to rot with that monster?!" Zhanghao yelled as he couldn't contain his anger.

"I had to save myself! I had to! I couldn't endure it anymore Hao" She said as she started sobbing.

Zhanghao looked at her and scoffed.
"And so you didn't think of taking me along? You endured that for how long, seven years? And me?"
Zhanghao paused as he tried to stop himself from breaking out.

"I suffered all my life. Do you know how traumatizing it was for me? As a child all I could think of was negative thoughts, is that what a mother would really want for her child?" Zhanghao said and images of how his father abused him came into his mind.

Zhanghao paused and looked up to blink away his tears. He could feel the pain he tried so hard to forget, come back. He looked down and scoffed.

"Just..you simply don't love me" Zhanghao muttered and his mother shook her head as she held Zhanghao's hand in tears.

"Why didn't you love me?...Was I..Too ugly?" Zhanghao asked as tears fell from his eyes.

"Was I not even cute? Why...Why didn't you love me?" Zhanghao muttered as he cried. His mother kept trying to explain herself but her cries couldn't let her.

"Why did you abandon me? The love that everyone received, Why did you make me so desperate for that love?! Why did you.." Zhanghao paused as he cried heavily.

"..Why did you make me want love above everything else?" Zhanghao muttered looking at his mother heartbroken. His mother wiped her tears and reached out to wipe Zhanghao's but Zhanghao held her hand, stopping her.

"Leave. I don't want to hate you more than I already do. Just go..keep living the life you were living and forget about me" Zhanghao said and wiped his tears.

His mother shook her head "N-No Hao, I c-can't do that–

"I'm not giving you an option...You're already dead to me. The same way you abandoned me years ago... please do that now. I beg you to go. I...I grew up without your love so I think I can cope without you.. Have a good life mom" Zhanghao muttered and closed the door.

He turned and rested his back on the door.

After some seconds, he slowly walked to the window and opened the curtain. He saw his mother crying as she hugged a man. A boy that looked seven was beside them.

Zhanghao smiled bitterly "She already started a family without me"

He looked at the boy and smiled "At least he gets to experience what I didn't. A family."