Chapter II: The Empty Vessel Part 1

Once upon a time, there was a great kingdom that reigned over the Northern part of the vast continent of Arsleia. It was the Kingdom of Luveria. Under the majestic influence and excellent ruling of King Albrech, he took over the other three neighboring countries: Frisia, Lauresia, and Silvenia, and with that, he was able to establish sovereignty. That made him the First Emperor of the Great Luveria Empire. The Empire lived in utmost prosperity and supremacy among the other countries.

However, after the death of Empress Rosaline, some parts of Wynburgh, the new capital city of Luveria, became a hotspot of phantoms-the evil creatures born from negative emotions manifested by any living creatures-including human beings. These hideous creatures had been existing with human beings since time immemorial but up until the death of the Empress, there were only a few of them alongside beasts and monsters in the wild. They spawned and increased rapidly in some areas and they were expected to spread to the neighboring regions.

The Imperial Order of Chivalry alone couldn't stand a chance against the phantoms. To counter this overwhelming catastrophe, the Emperor called for more casters. They are the chosen ones who possess the elemental gift, and have the ability to manipulate the wind, fire, earth, and water. The elemental gift was said to be a gift from God but not everyone can possess it. The Emperor made a Royal Decree that every child at the age of twelve from any household must undergo an awakening test, to be led by the church. If a child possesses any of the four elements, they are mandated to study in the Imperial Academy of the Gifted, train themselves to become a powerful caster, and join the Special Casters Unit.

The world in Twist of Fate seemed to be nice and peaceful and it didn't occur to Reina up until now that the book was not just an ordinary novel but a fantasy story written with supernatural elements. She bit her lower lip and shivered in fear as she imagined in her mind how those phantoms would look in three dimensions. They were described in the book as slimy, black creatures created from the negative emotions of the people. Only the casters can deal with them.

And one of those casters was Melissa Evergreen.

Melissa is the heroine of the novel who dies in the story from the curse of the final boss-Prince Darius. Following Melissa's death, Prince Darius also died at the hands of his loyal right-hand man, Seventh. After that, Prince Warryn found out that the culprit behind the tragic incident and the reason why the cursed prince transformed into a beast was his fiancé, Clarish.

"My beloved prince, please spare me some mercy. I only did those things because I love you. You know I would do anything for your sake. If you'd only loved me instead of that wrench, all of these wouldn't have happened. I just love you so much that I couldn't bear to see you with anyone else."

"Love? Did you call that love? Your love terrifies me, Clarish. It was my biggest nightmare. You're desperate and pathetic, that's why that thing you called love will forever remain one-sided. I will never love you even in your second life."

Although she had only read that part, she always imagined the scene in her mind and replayed it like it was some kind of theatre play. She even familiarized the lines of the characters. So basically, the heroine died, the cursed prince died, and then the villainess died. In the epilogue of the story, it was stated that Prince Warryn also died in the war due to the rebellion of House Marqaux together with the Cruvine Republic.

In the end, everyone died. She could almost laugh at it thinking that the novel was so thick but only ended like that. It was the reason why Alyssa's grandfather was heavily criticized. The novel was just too good to be ended like that, the readers even appealed for him to rewrite the story.