Chapter II: The Empty Vessel Part 2

Her most-awaited day of the awakening test finally came. She wore a white dress that had been made from high-quality fabric embroidered with pearls and colorful flower ornaments. Her long silver hair was neatly braided into two. She stared at the mirror and couldn't believe the ethereal beauty of Clarish.

If only I were this beautiful in my past life, life would've been so easy.

There were times that she was rejected for jobs because she was not attractive enough to catch some customers and her nonchalant face only annoyed the other factory workers. She shook her head and gently tapped her cheeks with her shaky hands. She's quite nervous. She could almost hear the loud thumping of her chest because of too much excitement. She even hadn't had enough sleep last night because of the aptitude test and the wind ability she would manifest.

The more she calmed herself, the more her chest pounded like a drum, and it only went worse the moment she laid her eyes outside the window and saw a huge carriage, which seemed to be from the church because of its distinct design, stopped right in front of their mansion. She immediately rushed downstairs and welcomed the guests together with her family.

The representative of the Imperial Cathedral with two knights and three more people in white coats arrived at their manor exactly on time. They brought with them the Crystal Ball, a special tool that determines the fate of anyone who holds it. Every year, they make rounds in every household from noble families down to commoners in search of future casters that will soon bring honor to the country.

"A pleasant day to you, Marquis and Marchioness Belfford, Young Baron Jefferson, and you little Chester, and..." The guy in a white coat with a different and more unique design from the others and also who wears a holy cross necklace greeted them one by one.

His hair was light blue, his eyes were light yellow, and he was covered by a light aura. He looks like a saint who came down to the land to bless everyone with his fascinating appearance. His bright smile was enough to make every girl's eyes sparkle in the room, including Reina's.

However, it was only for a second. She felt a sudden chill when his facial expression suddenly changed the moment he laid his eyes on her. He was Sebastian, the church's youngest priest. He is an extra character in the book that hadn't been properly introduced but it was written there that he held a close connection to the House Belfford, thus, the way he greets every member of the family one by one. 

"You must be the Young Lady Clarish?" He asked as if he wanted to check if the one he was facing was the right person. She responded with a nod and bowed her head. The way he looked at her sent chills down her spine.

"Pardon my rudeness, I just thought you were a different person." He let out an awkward laugh and turned his gaze to the Marquis.

"Indeed, Priest Sebastian. My daughter Clarish had changed a lot since that day. Anyway, how was the Priest Benjamin doing?"

"It looked like he had lost a great amount of mana but he had been recovering well, Marquis Belfford. All thanks to the almighty Heavenly Father."

"Please send my utmost gratitude to him for treating my dear daughter the other day."

The two men talked for a while before they proceeded to the main event. Reina, with shaky hands and trembling legs, positioned herself in front of the majestic thing that emitted a light inside. She just had to touch the Crystal Ball with her bare hands and wait for the result. As she did what was written in the book, the light that shone brightly inside the ball suddenly faded. All of them were shocked. She immediately took her hands off then it slowly lightened again.

"W-what happened? What does that mean, Sir Sebastian?" the Marquis couldn't help but ask. Reina was surprised too. It's not the same as what was written in the book. The Crystal Ball should have revealed a tiny whirlwind inside just like how it went when Clarish held the magical tool but it didn't. The light only faded when she touched the ball.