Chapter IV: The White Flower Part 1

"You fold this side, and then flip it and fold again like this..." She stopped folding the paper and looked at Chester who was busy following her instructions.

It was a pleasant morning and they had plenty of extra time to do a recreational activity. She thought of teaching Chester the art of paper folding which was called Origami. It was Alyssa who taught her when she was still alive and whenever she got bored, she'd only make paper cranes until she fell asleep.

"Am I doing the right thing, sister?"

"Of course, my dear brother," she replied in a sweet voice and pinched his cheeks. "Since my cute brother can't get himself a dragon pet, I will teach him how to make a paper dragon instead." The marchioness who had been drinking her morning tea and the maids on standby laughed in unison at what she had said.

"Pardon my intrusion, there's a letter for Lady Clarish." They were enjoying a moment of joy when a male servant interrupted them.

Reina who was sitting on the couch looked up at him in confusion. She then transferred her glance to the marchioness who had just smiled at her and nodded as if telling her to just take the letter from the man. When she opened the white envelope, she was rather amazed by the quality of the folded paper inside. She took it out and sniffed it, it had a flowery scent that her spirit feel like being lifted to the sky.

"Are you sure you're going to read that here? You can go to your room for privacy," the marchioness giggled as she thought it must be from her daughter's secret admirer. Clarish was a beauty after all and her previous tutors often bragged her daughter's name to some students and acquaintances.

She took another sip to her tea and when she glanced at her precious daughter, she saw a sign of horror on its face while reading the content of the letter.

"What's the matter, Clarish?"

"It's a marriage proposal..." Holding the piece of paper with shaky hands, Reina looked at the marchioness. Her complexion went pale as if her blood escaped down her face. "....from Prince Darius."

Those words were like a bomb that exploded in the living room. Everyone went silent. The marchioness who had been smiling lost the arch on her lips and lost her grip on her cup of tea, it fell to the floor. The maids were shocked to hear it too but they still managed to pick up the broken pieces and clean the carpet. Reina handed the letter to the marchioness to make sure it was real and it was indeed from the first prince since it had been sealed with a royal emblem.

"We are rejecting the proposal." As soon as the head of the household read the letter, his facial expression darkened, and quickly tore the paper into pieces. "Prince Darius knew we were supporting Prince Warryn. Letting my child betrothed to him will only mean betrayal to the House Scarlett. Just what does he think of us? Is he insulting the House Belfford?"

"To think that it was a marriage proposal and not engagement. There's no way Prince Darius would do such a thing but the seal itself and the quality of the paper being used could tell who the sender was," Jefferson commented as he was stroking his chin, as if in deep thoughts. "Is this some kind of provocation to our house?"

She doesn't know what's going on either. She thought she had already cut the string that connected her to the royal family. Why on Earth the first prince would suddenly propose this kind of matter? Why would he marry her?

"We are not accepting such a proposal and we're not talking about it anymore." The marquis massaged his forehead and heaved a sigh. "While we're here, let's talk about the banquet which will be held tomorrow."

It's a celebration of the coming of age of Princess Eloise, the only daughter of the emperor and the younger sister of Prince Warryn. The banquet will be held at the Imperial Palace and their family had already received a letter ahead of time. She had already expected that day to come since it was written in the book. She took a deep breath and stood, catching the attention of the three Belfford.