Chapter IV: The White Flower Part 3

She went outside the palace and her feet led her to a familiar place that she had been before. It was the place where she saw a lot of flowers and butterflies. It's a shame she couldn't appreciate the view this time. She hid behind the bushes and embraced her legs.

I wished you were here, Alyssa. I miss you so much.

She was so brave before, no one could ever lay a finger on her skin. As the time went by, she grew older and realized a lot of things. The toxic household that she thought was normal. The disappointments and anxiety she felt every time she heard her parents argue threatened the lives of each other. The fear that lurked in her younger sister's eyes had caused her nightmares every night. And the life that had been left to her was like a burden when their father left and her mother abandoned her, taking her younger sister away.

Everything weakened her soul and shattered her into pieces and the only reason for her to continue striving forward was the very existence of her best friend. That's why when Alyssa passed away, she ceased to exist too. That rainy night of her accident felt like a wish come true. But, instead of getting a permanent rest, she had just transmigrated into a world full of mysteries and tragedy.

At least in this world, I had experienced a good life. I have a complete and caring family. I can eat a lot of food and do the things that make me happy. I don't want to lose this life.

"I just want to live a happy life, is it too much to ask?" She cried and dried her eyes out. Only the sound of crickets and the whistle of the wind replied to her desperate plea.

She raised her head after she heard faint footsteps, the light on her face disappeared when the shadow of a familiar figure of a man reigned over her.

"Mister..." she uttered. It was the man who saved her from the phantoms just a week ago. He still has a long, jet-black hair and wears a black facemask that covered the half of his face. His suit looked expensive and it suited him more.

"I thought I'd never see you again. Are you here to get your reward?" She forced a smile and tried to beat the awkwardness. He must have heard her having a monologue a while ago.

"Reward?"

"Yes. I have said before that I'd offer you a reward because you saved my life, right? Don't tell me you have already forgotten it?" She let out a soft laugh and wiped her tears. "I may look weird but I don't break promises, you know." The man only stared at her.

"By the way, are you here for the banquet? So you're a member of a noble family?"

"You're indeed weird. How can you laugh like that after you cried like a baby a while ago?" Ignoring her questions, he extended his hand to her which made her confused. "Stand, you will only hurt your neck looking at me in that position. I don't want to sit on the grass either."

"Oh, how thoughtful of you." She reached for his hand and her cheeks automatically heated as soon as she felt his skin. "Y-your hand is warm...I guess you're a flame caster."

"Do you dislike it?"

"No, it feels good," she squeezed his hand which made him flinch. When she realized what she had done, she quickly removed her hand.

"I'm s-sorry. It was an impulsive act." She looked away because of embarrassment. "So, have you already thought of your reward? Please don't think of something impossible. I'm maybe a daughter of a noble but I'm not rich myself."

"Marry me then," he said out of the blue that made her drop her jaws. He glanced at his hand and looked at hers. He was about to reach her hand but she hid it behind her.

"That's not a good joke, Mister!" The small light in her blue eyes suddenly disappeared and was replaced by darkness. Her facial expression became serious. "Marriage is a serious matter, don't you dare use it as a joke!"