Chapter VII: The Cursed Prince Part 2

In the original story, there were initially seven maids in the castle. They were the daughters of fallen noble houses who were sent here for the same reason. The family's wealth was in crisis and the heads of the family committed crimes.

The moment they step foot into the castle, some unfortunate events start to happen. One maid had disappeared into ashes when she touched the prince, the reason was that she got enchanted by his beauty. Upon witnessing the cursed scenario, two maids became depressed and poisoned themselves. Another maid attempted to escape the castle through the cliffs of the mountain but she fell and died. Then, one maid was executed when she tried to assassinate the prince through food poisoning.

When the emperor hired new maids, he just coldly rejected them. He didn't want to witness other deaths again. Out of seven, only two maids survived and if they wanted to remain alive, they must forbid themselves from meeting nor seeing the prince with their naked eyes, and by night, they had to stay in their quarters. They're Nami and Cynthia.

"Why not? He's the reason why our parents got executed! He killed our friends! He killed Marina! Isn't it unfair that it's only us that are suffering? Ain't it just right for us to get revenge too?" It seemed like the wall that Cynthia built for a very long time suddenly collapsed. Her voice cracked and her tears began to roll down her cheeks.

"Why can't we do the same thing he had done to u-" Cynthia couldn't finish her words when Reina's palm landed on her cheek.

"How can you say that when you were the reason why your friend died?" Reina couldn't help herself. Just listening to her delusions makes her head boil. "You can drop the act now, Cynthia. For me, you're just like an open book. Now, do you want me to spill everything that I know about you? Right here in front of Nami?"

"What in the world are you saying? Why would I let my friend die? Are you out of your mind?"

"Then I'll ask you the same question." Reina walked closer to her and whispered in her ear. Her voice was only enough for the both of them to hear. "Tell me, Cynthia. Are you out of your mind to ask your dearest friend to get closer to the prince and once the prince takes the bait, you'll make her serve a cup of poisonous tea to His Highness? And when your plan failed, you passed all the blame to the victim himself?"

It's as if all of the blood from Cynthia's face rushed down to her feet when she heard what she said. Reina showed a sarcastic smile and tapped the woman's shoulder.

"It's fine, no one will know about it. I'll keep my mouth shut and I will set you free from here. Isn't that what you wanted the most? To start a new life outside the castle?"

Cynthia appears to be dominant and aggressive in the novel but in depth, she's only a lady who wishes to live a life outside the castle. Since she's good at tracking news and a master of manipulation, Reina thought it would be a waste to only keep her in this gloomy manor. 

"W-what are your conditions?"

Cynthia's response almost made her dance in joy. At least she understood the assignment.

"First, don't bother the first prince ever again. Second, you will work for me as my eye on the outside. Of course, you'll get paid according to your hard work."

"And what if I run away from you?"

"You will, of course. But you can see it yourself, I will always have my eyes on you. You can run but you cannot hide from me. Trust me, Cynthia. I've known everything about you since you were still a child." Of course, her childhood was just a lie to scare her. She doesn't want to act like a bully.

"Remember that oak tree where you used to hang out with your father? I'll be waiting for you there after the winter." Reina offered her hand as if she wanted to help her stand.