forty seven

First Day of Senior Year

The sound of the bell ringing caused Soul to look up from her phone before she went to open her locker.

"Soul!" Ashlyn and Gina called, approaching the girl with big smiles.

"Ash! Gina!" Soul exclaimed, pulling the duo into a tight hug.

"Soul, can I get a quick pic?" A random girl asked, approaching the trio with her phone in hand.

"Yeah, sure." Soul said, quickly smiling at the girl's phone before she walked away.

"Okay, Miss Pop Star." Gina teasingly said, letting out a chuckle, causing Soul to smile at the girl. "How was LA?"

"It was absolutely amazing!" Soul said, slamming her locker shut, locking arms with Gina as they made their way down the hallway.

"Okay, so, I think the move here is to wait till she texts you again. Then leave her on read, for like an hour. Then do the thumbs up reaction and turn your phone off. It'll drive her crazy, but in a good way." Ashlyn spoke into her phone, causing Soul and Gina to let out a chuckle.

"Are you, like, recording a podcast?" Gina questioned the red-headed girl as she quickly typed away on her phone.

"No, I'm sending Maddox voice memos. Kind of our thing." Ashlyn explained, causing Soul and Gina to share a look before looking down with grins on their faces. "What?"

"No, I'm..." Gina started, glancing over at Soul causing her to shrug. "Well, I think I'm just trying to figure out why you're ghost writing texts for Maddox to send to her ex-girlfriend."

"Actually, they're not exes anymore." Ashlyn said, looking over at the duo after punching her locker to open it. "She's going through something, and I just want to be there for her."

"Well, I know she's my cousin and all but I just hope she's there for you, too." Soul softly spoke.

"She sent me, like, a million texts about Big Red." Ashlyn reassured the duo, causing them to nod.

"Okay, anything helpful?" Gina asked.

"She said to support him in his semester abroad. Give him space, but also be there for him." Ashlyn spoke.

"So you and Maddie are sending each other relationship advice." Soul asked, causing the Caswell girl to nod.

"Yes, that is a good way of describing what we are doing." Ashlyn said, causing Soul to chuckle lightly.

"We're juniors now, Ash. Eyes on the prize." Gina stated.

"Wait. What's the prize to find the prize?" Ashlyn asked intrigued.

"It's just a figure of speech, Ash." Soul said, letting out a chuckle, as Ashlyn gave her a serious look. "It's for you to figure out. Now come along children. The Senior wants to get to class on time."