T H E H E I R

I've been up for what felt like days, it's only been a couple of hours

      I've been up for what felt like days, it's only been a couple of hours. Today my family is coming, whatever that means but right now it's just a chance of getting away from this hellhole and the monster that controls it. There was a knock on the door, I turned to see who it was and Zuri walked in fully dressed.

"I want to apologize for everything that happened this morning." She said, her hands locked together and sat against her stomach.

"It's not your fault, it's mine." I said, causally fixing my heels trying my best not to seem too hurt.

"Knox didn't mean what he said when he gets overstimulated he sometim-"

"If you're here to defend your boyfriend, just leave." I said, my back facing her and my tone nonchalant.

I'm angry, furious at every single person in this house. My family is the enemy, I'm the enemy and maybe it's time to start acting like the enemy. Blood defines you in this household so I'm going to let it define me, I'll betray them just like they betrayed me. It's time to start trusting my past instead of fearing it, bad memories don't mean that my entire life was bad, there had to be good memories, and I'm holding on to that.

"Knox isn't my boyfriend, he's just someone I care for very deeply." She said, my eyes rolled at her stupidity. "But I'm a woman just like you and I understand the hurt, the pain you must feel right now."

"I feel nothing." I replied, my lips quivered slightly and I was thankful she couldn't see my expression.

"Elara please, I saw the way you looked at him." She said, softly. "Your world was finally clearing up and then, he set it on fire all over again right in front of your eyes."

"And you couldn't do anything but watch it burn, and hear it crash."

I didn't say anything, I couldn't. It took every muscle in my body not to break down and sob because she was right, I was content with not knowing who I was and then he took that away from me, he made me his enemy's daughter. I was falling for him this entire time, and he broke my heart and my peace of mind. I stood up and pushed my shoulders back, my reflection was staring back at me through the mirror.

I turned around finally facing her, my chin held high with fake confidence. She pushed the door open for me, I walked past her and my stomach filled with so many nerves it was unsettling. There was a bunch of people downstairs dressed in tuxes, mostly men, all men to be exact. Two men were standing at the bottom of the stairs, my eyes focused on the skull they both had tattooed on their necks like some sort of symbol. Once I got to the bottom of the stairs one of them grasped my arm, and my eyes glared at his fingers that were wrapped around my skin.

"I was instructed to escort you to the office." The stranger said, that just doesn't sit right with me.

I didn't say anything, I followed their lead all the way down the hallway to a room I haven't been in. I wasn't wearing pink like I normally am, today I wore all black because I thought people would take me more seriously and maybe my family would recognize me better. The man knocked on the door, someone opened it and I walked inside.