Chapter 14- Liz's POV

I stayed still and kept my eyes closed when my door was opened later that evening. I pretended to be asleep and took a deep breath to smell my mate standing at the door, staring at me.

I kept still and breathed slowly, praying that my mate would think that I was asleep, even though I had a feeling that he knew that I was still awake.

My mate didn't say a word and closed the door again before he went off somewhere.

I opened my eyes and stared at the clock, checking the time and seeing that it was almost time for me to go. I sighed and closed my eyes again before I twisted around and stared at the door, not wanting to leave and see my father, mad at him just as much as Axel.

Did he not want me to be happy and spend time with my mate? I silently wondered and grabbed my blanket so that I could pull it towards my chin and buried my face into it while I closed my eyes again.

I took a deep breath and twisted onto my other side while I opened my eyes and stared at the wall, waiting to go to my father and start training. I huffed and closed my eyes again while I shifted on my other side, trying to get comfortable enough to nap before then.

However, I wasn't able to fall asleep, and I wondered if it was because I was "mad" at Axel. I craved being near him, but I didn't get up and stayed in my bed while I waited to go.

Finally, my alarm went off, and I sighed and shut it off while I sat up. "Shit," I muttered and moved a hand through my hair before I moved it across my face and shook my head. "Just fuck."

I bit back a sigh and shook my head before I moved a hand through my hair before I got off the bed, wondering if I should just ignore the alarm and try to fall asleep instead.

I bit back a scoff when that appeared, knowing that I wouldn't be able to and rolled my eyes before I went over to my shoes and started to get them on.

I knew that if I was late or not going, then my dad would force his way into the house and take me to our training spot and train me even harder than he was planning for that night.

Would he mind if I was mad at him and Axel for ruining my date with my mate and my kids?

Probably, but I'd still have to train to become the next queen and get ready for finding the last two.

I bit back a groan and moved a hand through my hair before I shook my head and opened the bedroom door. I paused and looked left and right to make sure that no one was there before I slowly started to make my way out of the bedroom, keeping with the shadows.

It was quiet in the house like normal, and for some reason, I didn't like it. I didn't like how gloomy it felt and wondered if it was because of the fight between Axel and I.

'But it's not a fight,' Whisper said softly, and I pressed my lips into a thin line and wrinkled my nose. 'All it is, was a disagreement between you two, and it's mainly dealing with you being stubborn and not seeing the truth.'

'And what is that truth?' I asked snippely. 'Our mate is leaving us, and Goddess knows when he is going to be back. He doesn't trust us to take care of the kids on our own, so he is having Caroline and Zeke here to look after them.'

'He also said that your best friends are going to stay here too,' Whisper reminded me. 'I am sure all he wants from you is for you to still be a child and not have to worry about them as a parent. Why else would he ask them to come?'

'Because he doesn't trust me,' I replied again.

'Do you know if he doesn't?' Whisper asked, and I paused mid step before I started to walk down the steps again. 'Has he ever told you that he doesn't trust you?' she asked.

I tucked my chin closer to my chest and pressed my lips into a thin line. 'No...' I said because he didn't give me a reason for him not to trust me.

'Then why are you acting like this?' she asked. 'I am sure that he would have given you a reason why he didn't trust you with the kids if he had one, wouldn't he?'

'But he isn't telling me the reason why he is leaving.'

'He has,' Whisper said. 'Or have you forgotten?'

I didn't respond and set my jaw.

'Your father needs him for something, and your mate can't say no. He is leaving to help your father with whatever he needs, and then he will be back and be by our side no matter what.'

'But the question is what are they planning on doing?' I asked. 'He hasn't given us a reason for what they are going to do and only that my dad needs him.'

'Maybe he doesn't know?' Whisper asked, and I mentally shrugged.

'And why wouldn't he not know if it is so important?' I asked.

'Because it has to deal with your father and you?' Whisper asked. 'Remember, he isn't from old blood like us. He doesn't have any powers. He is only a Beta Wolf with respect from his pack and other packs.'

But why does that feel like a lie..?

I didn't respond while I opened the kitchen door and closed it behind me before I sprinted through the woods. I could feel this call as if something told me to go back to my mate, but I didn't pay any attention to it and kept running to where my father was running from me.

The pain and stubbornness disappeared while I ran, and I knew that I was going to be back by my mate's side as soon as training ended.

I knew that I wasn't going to change his mind about not going, but I knew that he was going to make it up to me and to our children as soon as he was back by our sides.

Please, I silently prayed while I entered the clearing where my father waited for me. Please forgive me for being so stupid...

My father took one look at me and scowled while he narrowed his eyes. "No," he said when I opened my mouth to say something. "Go to your mate, now, and clear this with him. It is not his fault. Do you understand, Elizabeth Rose? He doesn't need to be treated like this. We will discuss everything tomorrow night and train more. Now, leave."

I didn't need to be told twice and ran back towards my mate, praying that I wasn't too late.

Maybe, just maybe, he'd understand and take me back without being as petty as me.

Only one can hope...